• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cardboard Headliner Replacement

G

Where is there a decent replacement for the cardboard piece-of-crap stock headliner ? ?:? A PVC replacement would be great. Read that Autokrafters has one, but that is not the case :'(

Gordys74

Loc.
Southern Iowa
JBG and LMC Truck both list them but it doesn't say what they are made of.<br><br>I need one too, its one of the things on a very long list of improvements and parts.

merciless

Loc.
Brooklyn, NY
[quote author=Gordys74 link=board=5;threadid=9824;start=0#70706 date=1033683212]<br>JBG and LMC Truck both list them but it doesn't say what they are made of.<br><br>I need one too, its one of the things on a very long list of improvements and parts.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah i need one too but 100bucks for cardboard and 20 for the holding strip is a lil rediculous. I just got some cheap auto carpet and spray tacked it on. I have to redo it as i didnt take the time to measure and it sure isnt pretty.<br><br>Sure helped a lot in soundproofing it and when you slam the door it doesnt sound like a tin can.

O

Original77

I just ordered one from JBG, I too thought they were a little on the expensive side. I'll drop a note to inform on the quality. It should be here any day. I'm gonna put a layer of dynamat or something similar in between the roof and the headliner for extra insulation and noise reduction.

dji

You're right....$100 is alot! Especially when I've got to pay with these damned Canuck bucks!! I just put mine back in and what I did was glue the whole headliner together on a sheet of masonite to take those wonderful sags out. Had to shorten it about an inch where the capping goes between the two pieces. Then I used a touch of body caulking(via the pinky) where there were some nicks and scratches and then painted it with flat white paint. Looks great! Hope it lasts a while cuz $100 IS alot for a piece of cardboard!

cougdan

Ok, After my own post, I just found this one. Are they really cardboard? What holds them in? Can anybody make a pattern or give me dimensions? I've got a CAD system and can make a pattern drawing. <br><br>If it's really cardboard, wouldn't foam core board from a craft store be better? It comes in different thicknesses and in large sheets. Cut it out yourself with a razor knife.<br><br>Is there room for that silver reflective insulation between the roof and headliner? Seems a natural.<br><br>Dan<br>

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
May be a little off base, but when I bought my bronco it had that nasty As$ wood paneling that you find in old school basements as the headliner, so what I did was buy some 1.5" foam from a craft store and had had some black soft top material. I wrapped the paneling with the soft top material and placed the foam behind the paneling and screwed it back up. Nice and quiet and when you hit a bump it doesn't hurt as much.

justinsane

Loc.
Casper, Wyoming
I got mine from B & W Antique Auto Parts for $80. Unfortunately the shipping was $38! I'ts made by Dennis Carpenter and yes, its cardboard.<br><br>Brian

T

teknalee

i ordered mine from JBG what a disappointment! it's just cardboard with some coating on the interior side.. i say take your time and MAKE YOUR OWn.. god what a peace of crap and a waste of money!

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
My headliner is in cherry condition, but is a cheap piece of crap. It's called "oil impregnated cardboard". I will use the dimensions to fab one from rigid plastic sheet and then spray glue headliner material on it for surface texture and color. This will provide a semi-rigid platform for sandwitching sound absorbing material between the headliner and the metal roof. I also plan to put dynamat strips on the metal roof to reduce the "tin can" effect.

Gordys74

Loc.
Southern Iowa
I was thinkin the other day (always dangerous) about takin some carpet padding and glueing some fabric to it, then shaping it to fit, then just ordering a few of the metal trim strips they sell with the aftermarket liner and seeing if I could get it to work for a headliner. If anyone perfects a good homemade liner, please let us in on it.

T

teknalee

when when i move back to SD i won't have to worry about a stupid headliner for a hard top ;D

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
I'll post the dimensions when I lay out my headliner. Again, my stock cardboard headliner is cherry ... dimensions will be easy to accurately measure. Should have in 1-2 months.

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
My plan is to Rhino line or Herculine the entire inside of my top. Should deaden sound, give it some insulation, will look a lot better than the aged head liner and will last a long time.