• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carrier Bearing Caps

west texas kid

Loc.
Lubbock, Texas Tech
Im looking for carrier bearing caps for a 9" I got from a 70ish Bronco (Small Bearing Housing) that was mostly empty when I got it. I have all the bearings and ring and pinion and all that I need besides the carrier bearing caps, and I cant seem to find those anywhere. Is the only place to get them an existing 9"? Ive gone to Autozone, Advance, and OReillys and they all look at me funny and we cant find anything close to that in their breakdowns and what not on their computers.

I appreciate any help

Wes

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Its not recommended to put different carrier bearing caps on. You also need to keep the caps in the position they came off of. Its pretty much the same as engine bearing caps they must go on the same spot they came off of as they are fitted to that position. I'd just go to the junk yard and get a whole center section

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
X2. Don't mix and match carrier bearing caps.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
but a different center section is going to have a different size carrier bearing with different spline axles and what not correct?

You might need one out of an early model car. Without looking up some information I can't tell you what years to look for but there were small bearing rears in lots of things besides Broncos.

Are you going to change the ring & pinion or the bearings? Or are you just looking to reassemble an existing set?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
That can be true just reuse your stock carrier in the new housing with the correct bearings for the new housing. Or might be a good time to upgrade to 31 spline axles.

OP
OP
west texas kid

west texas kid

Loc.
Lubbock, Texas Tech
i got it as a bare housing pretty much. had the housing, a chunk that had only a pinion in it, and the axleshafts (but one had the incorrect size bearing on the end so it doesnt even go in, already ordered new wheel bearings and end plates). I also bought a 28 spline spool for the rear, so I need carrier bearings and caps since the chunk was missing that stuff. so I guess I need to get a complete chunk or a complete rear to rebuild using what I got? Not that it matters but Im going to run 4.88 gears in it, so its getting new gears no matter what

Wes

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Just get you a complete chunk you can usually pick them up for about $50 or so. Your spool should fit then you'll only need bearings or a complete setup kit would have all the nessesary bearings,seals and shims you will need to set the gears up.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
For bearings and races go to applied.com. Applied industrial technologies. They used to be king bearing and are a major bearing and seal supplier. I just ordered my front wheel bearings for my 44. I think they were like $10 ea.They have distributors all over the place. You can usually pick up your stuff next day.