• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

carter P4070 electric fuel pump

fastride

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Alabama
I am getting ready to put my electric fuel pump in and was wondering if I should leave the mechanical fuel pump in or should I put the plate over it. I have heard that it doesn't matter and also heard I should take it out. Also, I am going to replace the fuel line from the tank to the carburetor and was wondering what the best fuel line to use.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would put a block off plate on. The diaphgram will get a huge workout if not actually pumping anything. When they go they usually leak gas into the oil, but with no gas it could start pumping oil out. Extra arms and springs flopping around inside an engine for no reason.

For hard line, Stainless hard line is probably as good as it gets. Cu-Ni (Copper Nickle) is apparently highly rated as well but I have never used it. Steel line works, the last roll I got looks like it is copper lined for corrosion. Copper is a bad choice.

For flex hose, a barrier type of hose. I have been running marine fuel hose for low pressure and suction. It is much thicker than the normal cheap parts store hose. I have some in a boat that 10 years later it was still like new. The parts store rubber hose was nearly brittle at the same age. The barrier keeps the fuel away from the rubber. Good thing for todays evil fuels.

Just got some Earl's Vapor Guard EFI hose that I will be using soon for high pressure EFI. Feels very much like the marine hose but has a high pressure rating.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I would use teflon coated brake line...very easy to work with, very malleable. Bends by hand in a decent radius without kinkng. EASY to make your own flares for those lengths you need but can't buy. It also looks nice

Stainless is VERY difficult to work with. Very hard to flare unless you have a very good double flaring tool, not some common $150 or less model.

Brake line will not be affected by ethanol and other nasty crap in the new fuels and you can buy it anywhere in different lengths.

I work a lot with marine hose...stuff is super tough but bulky as heck...large radius or straight is about your only option...tough stuff tho...has to be...when you have a leaky gas line in a boat it leaks into the bilge...then when you hit the key and you have electrical arcing in your starter or alternator or whatever...BOOOM... that's why marine hose is such heavy duty stuff..

Good luck

Last edited: