• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carter P4070 Fuel Pump Noise ?

Big D

Hey, looking at going with the Carter P4070 Electric Fuel Pump. I read a few old threads on here about noise, and a bunch of reviews on Summit. Some guys say they're noisy, and others don't notice a thing. I will be running a flowmaster super 50 suv 2 into 1 muffler. A fairly mild muffler. If i was running a louder exhaust, I wouldn't care about the pump noise. But, I am trying to make the old Bronc as quiet as I can on the inside. I will be spraying lizard skin and also insulating under the carpet. What do you guys think? Should I go with a different pump or will this one work? Thanks.

patrickk1

Loc.
Cambridge
Depends on what you consider loud. You can hear it priming the carb bowl when the engine is off. It is louder when the bowl is empty but quiets down once the bowl is primed. I had stainless flowmaster knock offs and couldn't hear it over the sound of the exhaust.

OP
OP
B

Big D

A little priming noise is fine. I was concerned with a constant buzzing or humming noise as I am driving.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I run 2 of those pumps on my '74, one as a low pressure pusher from each tank. One is a little noisy and the other is quiet. Try one and if it's too loud exchange it for another. They are great pumps.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've owned 3 of them in different vehicles. They were quieter than a 70 series flowmaster. I run one in the boat and it isn't even heard even while idling. Just a little buzz while priming. I'm getting older and like things quieter these days. Quiet enough for me. I have never used the quiet pack for it either.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I'm running one on my Diesel .. My Diesel is loud and I can heard that dang pump while driving in the pastures.
.. Today It was very cold & I cranked it to move it out of the way. I could not imagine how loud it was while cold.
... Mine is mounted under the seat about where the tank switching valve should be. I think some other kind of insulator rubber mounting system can fix half the noise.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I had one on my Chevelle. Since it was a unibody car, it had no frame to mount it to. I bolted on a rubber transmission mount with studs molded in and mounted the pump to that. It kept the vibration away from the body. You should be able to do the same with a frame car.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I have a slightly larger carter Rotary Vane pump and it is barely audible with the engine OFF but I had a friend who complained his carter was louder than the engine. Turns out he had installed the rubber isolators incorrectly and the metal studs were touching the bracket causing the noise. Mount the pump to the frame not sheet metal and you shouldn't hear a thing. I have to listen to make sure the pump is running before starting my bronco.

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I also only hear the buzzing just before I start the engine, assuring me the pump is working. Buy a trail spare and keep it in the glove box. Had one die a couple months ago. It's a good pump.

OP
OP
B

Big D

Thanks for all the responses. The isolator ideas and sound at mainly start up sound good to me.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
As quiet as a Bronco is I wouldn't think you'd ever hear it except for when you need to, when it is priming. But then again I have no doors/top/insulation and flowmaster 40's so I can't hear shit.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
The pump comes with all the hardware you need. The rubber grommets must be pushed all the way through the holes not sandwiched between the bracket/pump.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Location has a lot to do with some of the noise. Definetly want to mount it on the frame and not sheet metal. Ive run the carter for over 30 years so Im probably so used to it that it doesnt seem loud to me.