• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cat help

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I am struggling to find a Catalytic Converter that will be both CARB compliant and physically fit with the BroncoHut exhaust. The BH exhaust is 3 inch and runs 1-1/2 inch off the passenger frame rail and leaves no room, for example a Magna-flow 339xxx series Cat? This Cat requires 2 inches to clear and 3 inch to keep clear of the frame. BH says to use a "compact" CARB compliant Cat, but could not remember the model or brand (urban myth). Anyway, have any of you CARB compliant lucky people found a Cat that works with the BH 3 inch exhaust?

Many thanks.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I would just have an exhaust shop install the Cat. They can bend a couple of offsets to make it fit. Shouldn't be a big issue.

Mark

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I hear they're working on moving the exemption to a later year again. Not that I would ever do it but I've heard the going rate is about $200 for a non visual smog check.

OP
OP
bronco t

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I would just have an exhaust shop install the Cat. They can bend a couple of offsets to make it fit. Shouldn't be a big issue.

Mark

That was plan B.

As to SteveL suggestion I might wait until I need smog check next July and see if there is any rule changes by then, and if needed pull the string then. Regardless, I need to quiet this stock beast down as my ears are ringing (I am not young any more) and will be quieting it down with a three chamber muffler.

Dale

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
On the 66 the Flowmaster are plenty loud. On the 72 I went with stainless borlas. They don't sound as mean as the Flowmaster but a nice low sound. The Flowmaster have gotten me pulled over a few times.

OP
OP
bronco t

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
This is what I found on Summit as California universal converters. They are 2.5" tube so the muffler shop would have to do some magic. Whether or not you have room to place them is a whole other issue. Was your Bronco originally a 49 state Bronco or a California Bronco? Do you have the valve cover sticker?

https://www.summitracing.com/search...dMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=california

49 state Frederal emissions. No pump, just egr, pcv, cat - Seattle DSO. I called CARB last week to see if I could use the 339009 3 inch cat as it was not listed for the 77 Bronco in the D-193-105 EO, and their answer was - you have a pre-OBD "truck" (not a Bronco or Ford, or Chevy) and all you need to pay attention to is that it is a "T-1" vehicle, and that the part number doesn't matter as the list was not up to date. They took the time to walk me through their web site to the link below and to only pay attention to T-1 lists when searching for a Cat. Obviously, subject to interpretation, which doesn't surprise me with any gov agency.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/exemptcatpreobdii.pdf

All said, my original post was to see if anyone knew what Compact CARB compliant 3 inch Cat that BH might have been referring to?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
You do know that Summit may not actually ship a cat to you in KA? I've been thru that with my old yota Xcab, needed a cat and they said they couldn't ship a universal cat to KA and had no listing for any cat for that truck.

CTO-6907 is the p/n I'd look at on Summit's page.

OP
OP
bronco t

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
You do know that Summit may not actually ship a cat to you in KA? I've been thru that with my old yota Xcab, needed a cat and they said they couldn't ship a universal cat to KA and had no listing for any cat for that truck.

CTO-6907 is the p/n I'd look at on Summit's page.

They are funny that way, but they did ship me the Magnaflow 339009 Cat that is not listed for my year vehicle.

I talked to a local performance muffler shop (www.rpmmuffler.com) and they said that the 339009 Cat is not legal for them to install! Wow, between getting a green / yellow light from the CARB lady and the installer saying "No" - I am as confused as ever before.

I am going to roll over and let them install the 339006 2.5 inch.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
How long ago did Summit ship that cat?

If it's a 302 the 2.5" is more appropriate anyway. 3" is just too big. Years ago I went 3" under the Ranchero and it took a lot to get it to not drone and be reasonably quiet. With that mild 302 a 2.5" system would have been the better choice.