• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

centech harness problems

mtnbiker2010

Loc.
Grand Rapids MI
I have installed a centech harness into my 1976 bronco with duraspark ignition module. When I attach the battery everything has power even without the key in, i.e. the blinkers work, heater fan works, wipers work, etc. It appears as if the ignition is getting constant power. Also when I put the key in the run position the ignition module becomes extremely hot. I purchased the ignition adapter and am using my original ignition. Anyone have any ideas where I went wrong? I had a hard time with the instructions for the ignition wiring but I believe that I have wired it according to the instructions (very poorly written for that section), but I must have done something wrong. PLEASE HELP I AM DESPERATE TO DRIVE THIS THING THIS YEAR!!!!

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
My last 2 Centech installs had a similar problem . Check the power connections on the back of the fuse panel . The lead with 2 hot wires was crossing to the accessory post & everything worked with the key off . Number 2 had a bad ignition switch , same symptoms . Not sure about the Duraspark mod . The instructions are a bit confusing as the 2 diagrams for the Duraspark seen to contradict but keep studing it & it will eventually make sense ! Good luck

OP
OP
M

mtnbiker2010

Loc.
Grand Rapids MI
Thanks stevew, that was the problem with mine also. The fuseable link that is connected with the heavy battery wire was twisted slightly and was touching a fuse. I looked at it once but did not notice it at that time until you said that is where your problems were. After a closer inspection I found the problem and quickly remedied it!

My new question is my ingnition module is still somewhat hot while the ignition is in the run position. This is not so hot that I cannot touch it but I would not want to hold my hand there for a long time. I am unsure of how hot these normally get. Does this sound normal? Thanks for any and all feedback.