• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Centech OPT1 wire - no juice?

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
For those with the Centech harness - do any of you use the pink OPT1 wire? Either the one under the dash or in the engine compartment. I have tested both and I don't seem to be getting any power from either wires. My cigar (green) wire works just fine and everything else works just fine. I had the OPT1 wire in the engine compartment hooked to my tranny cooler fan and have noticed that I've never heard the fan actually turn on (other than with a 9v battery before I installed it) so I thought I'd test for power and the wire was dead.

I've tried it with the key on, off, acc - with the lights on and off, the heater switch on off but no luck. I really don't want to take apart the Centech harness to get to this wire so does anybody have any ideas? I guess I could run power for the fan strait from the battery but I like the idea of everything turning off with the key.

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
Check the other end towards the fuse box; if I remember right, it isn't hooked up at all - they just ran it with the rest of the harness. I think you'll have to hook it up on both ends. That is if I DO remember right.

OP
OP
R

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
I looked for the other end but it seems to be in the area that is covered by tape and I was trying not to cut the tape off.

I spoke with Centech back when I wired this up and they are the people that told me to use the OPT1 wire. You would think that if it wasn't hooked up they would have said something.

I'll check it out though.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Perhaps it's just a through-wire? What, if anything, did you hook the inside wire to? A switch or power source of some kind?
Sounds to me that if it's got two open ends, then the under-dash end is supposed to control the under-hood side and it's just run through the harness for convenience.
Possible?
Can you check the continuity of that circuit? If each end it connected to the other, then you probably have to supply the power source.
Just a guess.

Paul

Loc.
Speedwell TN
opt 1 is a free wire on both ends . it is left up to your descretion on what it runs and how it is powered .

OP
OP
R

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
Ooooohhhhhhhh!

Ok, so there is only one wire. I'm sure that's it. I'll check it out. I must have misunderstood Centech when they told me to use that wire.

I went ahead and wired the fan directly to the battery and of course, it works. It kicks on when the returning tranny fluid is 180+ and then shuts off when it cools down.

Thanks for the info guys.

68beast

Loc.
Covina, Kalifornia
not to hjack this post, but can anyone tell me where the purple "start" wire goes? I cant seem to find out anyhere in the centech manual or diagrams that were supplied with the harness.

OP
OP
R

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
It depends on which purple start wire you are referring to. There are two of them in my harnes. The one that is not connected to anything is part of the plug that also has the blue ignition wire and the white coil + wire. The other purple start wire is run to my nuetral safety switch and then back to my starter solenoid. If you have a manual tranny I assume it would just go straight to the starter solenoid.

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
The pink is purely optional for you to use. Fans, CB, etc.

I did not use a neutral safety switch and when you do this I belive that the purple is not used. If you want, email me and I will look at my harness and tell you exactly what I did on mine (I have the wired coiled up and taped off under the hood).

OP
OP
R

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
c2computer - Doesn't your Centech harness have two purple start wires? One of mine is also coiled up and tape off - this is the one I mentioned in my earlier post that has the blue and white wire as part of the plug.

I don't understand you statement - "I did not use a neutral safety switch and when you do this I belive that the purple is not used." - So you have a standard tranny? No matter what tranny you have (auto or standard) wouldn't you still need to hook the purple start wire (not the one in the plug I described earlier) to the starter solenoid? That's how mine is setup and it works like a champ.

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah I think that is right, like I said I don't remember so I would have to go look at it. Yes you need one to the starter solenoid but I can't remember what the wire was called. Sorry if I confused anyone.