• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Changed 3rd member, now axle doesn't fit

BroncoMarc

Loc.
BroncOhio
I'm in the process of swapping my 3rd member for a Currie high pinion 9". Everything when together fine except the passenger side axle shaft. It needs to go in another inch and it feels like it's bottomed out in the locker. It's definitely engaging the splines since I can spin the yoke with the axle.

Old setup : Stock gear case, 4.11 9" gears, 9" detroit locker.

New setup : Currie high pinion gear case, 4.10 8.8 reverse cut gears, 9" h-case detroit locker

Both setups : Stock 9" housing, Moser 31 spline axle shafts

Any idea what would have changed that would require a different length axle shaft?

Pics here: http://www.broncohio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276

OP
OP
BroncoMarc

BroncoMarc

Loc.
BroncOhio
It's not getting in far enough for the wheel bearing. I assume I've cleared the diff bearings since I've engaged the splines.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
High pinion axles and standard pinion axles are different length. The high pinion is reversed compaired to the other. The offset in the carrier is moved to the other side of the housing. One axle will go in but not really far enough and the other will bottom out in the carrier. You need high pinion axles. Using standard pinion axles in a high pinion axle will not work.

Or I don't know what I am talking about.

Bax

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
bax said:
High pinion axles and standard pinion axles are different length. The high pinion is reversed compaired to the other. The offset in the carrier is moved to the other side of the housing. One axle will go in but not really far enough and the other will bottom out in the carrier. You need high pinion axles. Using standard pinion axles in a high pinion axle will not work.

Or I don't know what I am talking about.

Bax
I don't think the position of the pinion will effect the side gear position.

OP
OP
BroncoMarc

BroncoMarc

Loc.
BroncOhio
The position of the pinion would affect axle length. I think the center section is shifted to the drivers side to keep the pinion in the center for the driveshaft.

But, in the Currie high pinion, the pinion is still on the passenger side, as is the stock setup, so I wouldn't think it would require a different axle length.

See the pics here for a comparison of my new and old setup: http://www.broncohio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276

chris

No more Rock Crawler
I had similar issue with a Big Bronco stock axle, just had to turn(wiggle) the shaft back and forth while pushing it in. Took a while. Good luck and hope that's all it is.

jmaples

Loc.
SEATTLE,
Axle not fitting

Same thing happened to me when I put new bearings on my axles. One side wouldn't go in all the way but when I turn the pinion it would turn. Double checked the length, took out my hammer and gave it a gentle nudge. Slid in like butter. Jmaples

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
jmaples said:
Same thing happened to me when I put new bearings on my axles. One side wouldn't go in all the way but when I turn the pinion it would turn. Double checked the length, took out my hammer and gave it a gentle nudge. Slid in like butter. Jmaples

my new yukons didn't want to slide in either. i chamfered the end of the splines and it went right in.

OP
OP
BroncoMarc

BroncoMarc

Loc.
BroncOhio
I took everything back apart yesterday. Took tons of measurements comparing the old one against the new one. Couldn't find a problem. Put it back together for another test fit and it went right in!

So, I took it back apart, sealed up the diff, put the axles back in for final assembly and it wouldn't go all the way in again. I wiggled it and shoved it and it slid all the way in. I dunno what it was hung up on, but it's in there now.

Thanks guys..