• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

charging problem help

dixie134

76 bronco 302 3-speed, truck not charging so i took alternator out and had it tested was told bad.Got new alternator and regulator.Put it in and i am still not charging it is only putting out 11.78 volt reading at battery while running.Any thought s or suggestions appreciated.

OP
OP
D

dixie134

Took new alternator back and had it tested.They said it was bad and tred another and ais it was too.I really believe he had no idea how to run test machine.So i took back my old crusty alternator and took it to autozone.They tested it and said it was fine.I tried full field testing old and new alternator and got identical results.Coult the problem be in my wiring.are there any fusible links in the stock wiring that could be giving me this problem?LAst but not least there is a wire with a female type spade connection gray type plastic clip attached to the stock wiring at the alternator not hooked to anything.It comes out on the wiring coming away from alternator just after the black molded portion of the harness.What does this go to. thanks for any help or suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem.

OP
OP
D

dixie134

upon further investigation the unhooked wire is actually the other end of the wire connected to the sta terminal on the alternator.Where should this wire be hooked to on the truck?

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Check the wire plug in to the voltage regulator. Try cleaning it up and then put a little dielectric grease on the male ends at the regulator and plug back up. Mine was corroded and to far gone to make right, so I ordered one from NAPA and it fixed a problem just like yours.