• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Charging problem on my '72 Bronco 302 V8

Radar

Loc.
San Diego
I had to replace my MSD spark box,ign,hdlght,stop,cig elmnt,starter relay,reg,battery,and new terminals everywhere because of massive cancerous corrosion!

After doing all this,I'm not getting full voltage,only 12.25.She ran great,better than ever,but only for that one day.The test light shows two circuits are on,the emerg/def ones.

I haven't rechecked voltage,after installing the last "brand-new" part-the starter relay.The reason is because after cleaning up the corroded regulator wires,I put them in the wrong order.

If anyone out there has a 3-wire alt-to-reg connector,an Orange field,Yellowish-green ign,& main harness solid Yellow,please tell me the correct order.

It might help solve this problem.

It can't be that difficult-right???

I'm on a shoestring budget,so any help would be greatly appreciated,'cause my other ride,an '87 CBR 600 Hurricane,is also,waiting on parts!!!

Thanx a bunch!
Radar:)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...It can't be that difficult-right???

Hah! You wish...
Nah, just kidding. Should be a piece of cake. However, if you hooked them up wrong the first time, or did not have the regulator grounded to the body when you lit it up, things might have changed. Some regulators can handle it, but some are very sensitive to these two issues.

First off, the markings, if they're there still, are FSAI on the regulator. Only three are used, as you saw.
Orange is the "F" or Field wire and goes straight to the back of the alternator.
The "Yellowish w/green" wire is the "S" or switched wire, and comes from the ignition switch and is only on with the key.
The Yellow wire is in the "A" position and has power full time.

Both of those last wires should have full battery voltage to them when you test. Unfortunately a light won't cut it. You have to be able to measure voltage so that you can verify that they both match battery voltage and don't have a drop, which would mean a bad wire or connection somewhere.

HOpe that helps. Oh, and the really first thing, welcome! Hope you can find all your answers here.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Forgot to mention that the original color of the second wire was Red w/green, so it appears that yours is pretty faded.
And you should always have a black wire between the alternators case and one of the bolts that holds the regulator to the body.
What's the general condition of the rest of the wires?

Another thing that can keep the battery from charging, even if the regulator and all the other things are doing their jobs, is if your fusible link on the end of the charge wire is partially blown.
That's the little "block" thingy at the starter relay/solenoid on the big Black (should be Black w/red stripe) on the batter side of the relay.
Check to make sure you're getting consistent voltage there. The reason I say "partially blown" is that, if it was fully gone, none of your other accessories would work when the engine wasn't running, and you wouldn't even be able to start the engine.

Basically, just check all the connections and see what you find.

Paul