• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

cheap ebay H4s can they be good

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
can cheap ebay H4 housings be made good with some good bulbs, im sure they come with really crappy bulbs, but with a high amp alternator, good bulbs, and a relay they can be nice right? found a set for a decent deal and was kicking it around for the 73

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I've been happy with the $30 ones I bought 4 years ago.
Like you say, you definately need a relayed headlight harness.
The more you pay for the housings, the better beam pattern you get.
I just ordered a set of H4 HID ballasts and bulbs for them ($50 to my door), should be here today. I'm hopin this makes even better visibility.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
can cheap ebay H4 housings be made good with some good bulbs, im sure they come with really crappy bulbs, but with a high amp alternator, good bulbs, and a relay they can be nice right? found a set for a decent deal and was kicking it around for the 73

Better bulbs won't fix bad optics. If the reflector and lens are not made right then changing the bulbs won't help with the aim any. I find that the bulb quality of the cheap bulbs is actually fairly good. Doesn't matter what bulb you stick in a housing, the pattern is still the same (brightness and color may vary). Get a good housing with good optics. Bulbs can be changed later as needed.

65fordstang

Loc.
East Wenatchee, WA
You can put a '03 Cobra motor in a rusted out '87 Civic, but it will still be a rusted out '87 Civic...

A cheap housing will still be a cheap housing no matter what bulb you put in it... These housing are mass produced in China with little to no design thought put into the optics. This is the reason that the after market Hella's and Cibie's (if you can find them) go for so much more. You always know when someone with these headlights are driving towards you because you are blinded be the glare, and there is very little usable light being put down in front of them.

If you want a good set of aftermarket headlights, get a set or European E-Code housings with a good set of normal, clear bulbs. If I remember correct from the old thread hear about a mass buy of headlights, the Cibie's were ruled the best quality. I believe that these are the Hella E-Codes at Summit.
If you want to risk E-Bay you can get a deal on some Cibie's or you can try These guys.

Now if you are really into DIY, you CAN get a set of these and PROPERLY retrofit HID projectors into them and get true HID light. This would involve taking a set of HID projectors and grafting them into the housings. THIS IS NOT the ILLEGAL "HID Retrofit Kits" that you see on E-Bay that involve plugging a HID bulb into the existing housing. If you are interested in something like this go check out the forums on HIDPlanet and check out all of the PROPER retrofits.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
that summit price a great deal on the hellas. i am quite fond of their products.

DZap

Loc.
Houston, TX
You can put a '03 Cobra motor in a rusted out '87 Civic, but it will still be a rusted out '87 Civic...

But it'll be fast as shit and really scary.............I'll take one!!!!!;D

I'm using the BCB's H4's, I'm pretty darned pleased with 'em.

Last edited:

kkhammer

Loc.
Bellingham, Wa.
I've been happy with the $30 ones I bought 4 years ago.
Like you say, you definately need a relayed headlight harness.
The more you pay for the housings, the better beam pattern you get.
I just ordered a set of H4 HID ballasts and bulbs for them ($50 to my door), should be here today. I'm hopin this makes even better visibility.

Keep us posted on how they work and where you got them....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Evidently there are some good eBay lights, and some bad eBay lights.
I've heard of a few that have them and like them, but others that had a lens fall off a housing within a couple of weeks and others where the lenses stayed on, but the reflector rusted within a couple of months. Just went through this with another guy who bought a set and, although they seemed to be of decent quality of manufacture, had the crappiest beam pattern imaginable and he's going with the Hellas now.

IPF, Delta (BCB), Hella, Cibié, Carello, Bosch and a few others all seem to have the beam-pattern thing down pat.
Cheapies are always a gamble. Gamble well and you'll be happy. Miss the bet and you'll end up buying a more expensive pair later.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you try a cheap set, have someone else drive the Bronco toward you while you are in another car. Blinded by the headlights? Imagine coming up on a cop with crappy lights and the cop is in a bad mood. Just asking for a talking to. Get good pattern lights and don't piss off the man in blue. Those quality lights may be a bigger bargin then the cheapies and you don't even know it.

uncle ray

i have some of the cheap ebay lights. the low beam pattern is short and wide, the high beam is pretty good and long.

the big problem is crappy glass, they chip very easily, even mounted as high as they are on a bronco.