• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

chemical dipping, where??

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Surely, in Mobile, AL one of the top ship-building sites in the country there is a Redi-Strip, but not sure where else. you might have to trailer it all the way to BHM. You dont want galvanizing, you want electrolysis to strip away the paint, bondo, rust. Not sure...I wasnt into the idea of restoring vehicles when I was living in Mobile. Check the yellow pages, I guess. If there is a restoration shop in town, they may be able to tell you if there is an individual in the area with a vat large enough to do your tub/panels....if, of course, there isnt a Redi-strip. Otherwise, you may have to go with media-blasting. keep me posted. If you dont find anythnig, let me know, I have a good HS buddy who does paint work out in Chickasaw and he might knwo of someone.

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
true there should be something in Mobile....(no I wasnt wanting it galvinized, just figured a place that did galvanizeing would have a big chemical vat that stripped metal before coating it!......
I did look in the local yellow pages for a redi-strip but didnt see anything. I'll keep looking in the mean time. Toque, did a really excellent job on his restore on his EB! I was thinking media blasting at one point (and I'm still not ruleing it out), but if I can find a chemical dip place, I may go with that. This old bronco isnt gonna be in the shape its in ever again unless, something happens and someone else winds up with it. As long as I have it, I'm gonna try to just improve it and hopefully when its all said and done (God only knows when that will finally be!) It will be a really nicely restored/modified EB.;D

I'll keep digging for a place to strip it? I'll keep you posted if I find anything!
Ben

67ster

Bronco Guru
Many of the "strip joints" have been forced out by the EPA . The caustic solution they use is tough to dispose of when used up , it is loaded with lead based paint residue any many states and cities consider it to be a hazard .

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Its only 11 hours straight up I-65 to Indy...I could put you up for a day or two. Check Birmingham, they may have a Redi-Strip as well. Here is a link to the one in Indy, not sure if they have a link to other franchises. I talked to the guy about mine by phone, so nothing firm, but got the idea it would be a about $1K. Hell, one could buy an above ground pool at a garage sale, make up the solution and do it oneself for a fraction of the cost...there are several excellent sites with information on electrolysis. It is essentially a dilute baking soda solution with low current passing through it.

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
Hell, one could buy an above ground pool at a garage sale, make up the solution and do it oneself for a fraction of the cost

lmao...ya know maybe I could buy "some old huge tank" from here at my work off of the "bid yard" (kinda of a lay down yard where they keep old tanks, desk, etc....), and build myself one. then I could do Bronco tubs for others....oh but the epa got wind of it, I'd be toast!
Ben:eek:

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
There isnt anything toxic about a bicarbonate solution, its basically arm-&-hammer, although I've read you can use certain types of laundry detergent, but baking soda is the electrolyte. Nothing toxic about it. Rust, some paint particles. It supposedly looks much worse than it is. I have read several articles where people claim that they just dumped the solution into their yards, but I would suppose they were not necessarily removing paint as well...anyway here are a few. The first is a business, the last is a new product (found on same page as an add for RustBullet, so maybe its OK). All in between are techs and FAQ about electrolysis.
http://www.redistripindy.com/
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm
http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp
http://www.enginads.com/paintshop.cgi/noframes/read/45807
http://www.smokeriders.com/Tech/html/electrolysis.html
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000022.html
http://www.cleanrust.com/placeorder.htm

Here are a few that I just found. Some I have read before a few I just quickly checked out and if you notice, they all say the same thing--basically. Good luck keep us posted.

67ster

Bronco Guru
Those are very interesting links and should satisfy the "Green" patrol over it's low enviro-hazard . The old school method I was referring to used a very strong caustic soda (oven cleaner) and no electrolysis .

74familyeb

Loc.
norfolk
So has anyone tried doing this on there own on smaller parts like the grill are dash? Seems alot more detailed than mediablasting? And a nice size rubber maid container should work huh. ?:?
thanks
josh

74familyeb

Loc.
norfolk
I was thinking the same about va. I think doing that to the frame would be better than blasting it. You could get in all the nooks cranies better.

classic4x4s

Loc.
Zachary, LA
There is/was a place in New Orleans that does this, I would have to check to see if they are still in business. I know someone that had his Bonco done there and it worked well. But...there are some drawbacks. When the tub is dipped it stripes everything including inside the door post, rocker panels, etc...and these are areas that you can't get to with primer/paint. If there was only a primer vat that would apply the primer in the same manner and reach all these hidden areas then I would see this as a great method. I just have a fear of unseen rust eating my Bronco.

RonJones

Contributor
I don't know about my tub, but my metal top could sure use this. I'm planing to paint, and there's a fair amount of surface rust in the crevices and I wasn't looking forward to personally sandblasting it out. Because of the thin sheet metal, I didn't want to take to the local metal fabrication sandblaster's - I did a fair amount of welding on a horse trailer after they cut through in spots. I guess I just need to find a vat, or make a box, line it with plastic and dip the four corners in it. Cool!

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
i'm wanting to do the same thing for my wife's daily driver project. i wanted to hot dip galvanize the frame. it's the only way i was sure to get full coverage inside the rails and protect against good old new england road salt. i was then going to coat it in por15 or rust bullet.

do a search for american galvanizers association, they have all the locations listed by region.

michael084

Loc.
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
oh2bnok said:
I think the redi strip solution will streak the metal.
Even if it streaks the metal aren't you going to be painting it? Phosphoric acid (osphio,metal ready) streaks the metal anyway. After you por15 it do your plastic filler and your high build primer surfacer and paint you aren't going to see any streaks. I see from the link listed above there are some places within a couple hundred miles of me I will see if any of them do automotive bodies and how they price.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Somebody mentioned hot galvanizing. My buddy is a rep for a company that does commercial stuff in the Birmingham, AL area. I talked to him about my Bronco. He said the frame and axle housings would be OK and it would make them last forever -figuratively, of course...also, it can still be painted over or top coated and not loose any of its rust-prevention value. However, he would NOT recommend the body panels, top, tub, etc since the glavanizing dip is molten Zinc and would most likely warp any panel. He said that there is typically a minimum charge of their set up fee of $250. I got the impression that it shouldnt cost much beyond that. The thing to do really would be to set up your frame, roll-bar mounts and roll-cage and bring it in as a single piece...or two pieces and from there then go to powder coating, POR/RB or paint. But you would want to make sure everything was set-up the way you wanted first. Good luck. If anyone is in the south east, I can put you in touch with my buddy, Mitch and he will take care of you.