• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chevy Tie Rod Conversion

turbotim2

OK I've a got 76 chassis and stock disc brakes and knuckles. I want to go with the chevy (85 k5 Blazer) tie rod conversion. Here ar ethe Q's:

1. Will the TR ends hit the wheels (15" x10") with either the TRO or TRU setups?

2. Will the stock knuckles handle the reaming needed for these, either over or under, keeping in mind mostly street with some minor wheeling?

3.. With a 3.5" suspension lift and putting the TR under, would I really need a drop pitman arm?

Thanks!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I'll answer

1) With 15"s it will hit. I run 17"s and it cleared after I used spacers.
I got 2 3/4"-3" backspace total.

2) 76-77 knuckles has lots of meat to do a TRO. And I wheel mine HARD...

3) Go TRO if you are starting new. I wouldn't stay under because you will need a drop arm.
Just raise the tracbar mount on the axle..

la77

Loc.
Alexandria LA
had to change the nuckles out to f150 on my 77 for tierod clearance with 15x10 wheels. I guess it would depend on how much backspacing you have.
you will have to ream the nuckles anyway so go ahead and do tro. with a 3.5" lift on my 77, TRO chevy tierod setup, my track bar is in perfect alignment with my draglink whithout changing anything on my track bar mounting points. I think the 76 has the same setup doesn't it may not need to relocate your trackbar but would see what it looks like when finished with converson to decide

74LIFE

Loc.
rolling prairie,ind
just found this site very cool site and lots of info,i got the 1 ton steering setup from mikes, now im reading that the setup will not work with my 15" alcoa"s they are 15"x14" old school. not sure on backspacing will check. 76 front end have a74 front end will knuckles work

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
so, I am thinking about doing TRO on my 77 with the Chevy TRE. . I have a 2.5"suspension lift. I would rather not use spacers, I like the the look of the tire being tucked in, plus less backspacing wears on ball joints quicker. I would like to keep my stock rims that I have now, which are 15x8 and I think they are 3.75" or 3.25" (I can't remember, but it is a common size) of backspacing. Here are my questions:

1. what year knuckles of an F150 will work to avoid spacers?
2. will i run into any clearance issues with the track bar bolt at all?

thanks for your input!

Doyle

Bronco Guru
I used 78 knuckles on mine, tie rods clear my 3.5 backspaced rims fine. It's TRO with the one ton ends.