• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

chimney brush?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Looking for a way to clean out the frame on my Bronco. I'm thinking a small enough chimney brush may do the trick. There is some scale on the inside of the boxed frame. Anybody have suggestions? (truck is still a driver, no frame off yet)

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
You know I never gave that a thought but a chimney brush is probably too bid...BUT a boiler tube brush wouldn't be. Let me do some emailing and get back to you. When I was 16 (too many years ago) I would punch boiler tubes during the summer for 7 bucks an hour, great cash in the early 80's, anyway we used a stiff wire brush on a threaded steel 1" pipe about 15 feet long. The tubes are about 3" ID. My Brother is still in the business let me check with him.

oldiron

Bronco Guru
I used a new toilet brush, took off the handle then molded it to fit inside the frame. Getting the string through the frame is the hard part but once it's in tie a string to the brush on both ends and (this part takes two people) one person pulls till the brush is almost out then let the other person pull is back through (like a two man saw). Wives are excellent at this!! You get a clean frame, she feels like she's helped out, everybody wins.
Greg

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I was thinking of cutting the brush into a rectangluar shape. FB i'll wait to hear from you, i like you're thinking.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Dryer vent brush will do it. Can be found fairly easily too. Look at lowes or HD or your nearest appliance parts supply house. Sears usually has something near the malls by their automotive dept.

neonizagas

Loc.
Minneapolis, MN
I'm at the same point! I have the frame sandblasted and was thinking of a good way to clean the inside of the frame. I have taken a bird nest out and it looks like there is more way inside! I like FB idea! Let's us know Thanks!

Gerry

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I was thinking of cutting the brush into a rectangluar shape. FB i'll wait to hear from you, i like you're thinking.

Email sent. Should know more in a bit, but this would actually work great I think and no cutting of a bigger brush. Cutting it may give you a little better countour, but those bristles do not cut easy and thaere are a lot of them on a chimney brush.

jdevon

Loc.
Dallas Area
i had to run a line through my frame this past weekend. i tied a string to a wad of kleenex and used a blower to shoot it through. worked like a charm.

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
by the way, much tighter on the left than on right. I hose clamped a wire brush to some fiberglass rod. Opening by steering box gets a little restricted, knocked the clamps off, brush still in frame....thank god for chinese fingers!

Brettman

Loc.
Houston
How about this guy? Bet he can clean your frames! :eek:

World's tallest man helps save dolphins

December 15, 2006
the associated press
BEIJING -- The long arms of the world's tallest man saved two dolphins in northeast China by reaching inside of them to remove plastic they had swallowed, state media reported Thursday.

The dolphins at an aquarium in Fushun, Liaoning Province, had fallen sick after swallowing the plastic from the edge of their pool, and attempts to use surgical instruments to remove the plastic failed because of the contraction of the dolphins' stomachs in response to the instruments, the China Daily newspaper reported.

Veterinarians than decided to ask for help from Bao Xishun, a 7-foot, 8.95-inch herdsman from Inner Mongolia.

Bao, 54, was confirmed last year by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's tallest living man.

The official Xinhua news agency said Bao, using his arm length of 41.7 inches, was able to reach deep enough into the dolphins to pull out the plastic.

Photographs showed the jaws of one of the dolphins being held back by towels so Bao could reach inside the animal without being bitten.

"Some very small plastic pieces are still left in the dolphins' stomachs," Zhu Xiaoling, a local doctor, told Xinhua. "However the dolphins will be able to digest these and are expected to recover soon."

Chen Lujun, the manager of aquarium called the Royal Jidi Ocean World, confirmed the report to The Associated Press.

"When we failed to get the objects out, we sought the help of Bao Xishun from Inner Mongolia, and he did it successfully yesterday. The two dolphins are in very good condition now."

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Attachments

• China man.jpg
    China man.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
STUPID DOLPHINS....wonder if he works cheap?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I've used the chiminey brush method a couple times. I have a set up I made just for this about 10 years ago. As I recall, It has a metal brush followed by a nylon brush, both attached to a cable. I fish the cable through the frame and them pull it though with my tractor while the frame is secured to a truck or a tree.

It worked well. I forget how I got around the frame sleeves on the PS box mount? I'll try to get a pic of the rig next time I'm at the shop.

I pulled it through 4-5 times as I recall and got lots of scale and crud out.

I also made a rig that used an undercoating gun with a wide fan tip at the end of a clear hose which I used to pull though the frame a few times to coat it with some stuff I got from Eastwood that was a waxy type rust preventitive coating.

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
drew, coming to our little northeast round up? all are welcome. Yes i would like to see your contraption. very interested. I din't think of the tractor aspect, hmmmmm