• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

classic vehicles

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
74bronc said:
yes I have, but that can also be applied to Porsche owners and others. I happen to have been into BMW's for many years. I would gladly put up the current M5 against almost anything on the road today, not to mention a Dinan charged one.
I guess , as usual , you and I disagree to the core, I would not put anything less that 30 years old in classic catagory.Or did I missread the subject?

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
Henrietta said:
An interesting trend to me lately is the "sport utility cars". Most of you will be able to remember the old Eagle station wagons, that were billed as " a 4x4 car". Now all these high end sport utes look just like them...a car with a lift kit. I laugh every time I see these things on the road. To think Chrysler was actually ahead of their time in something...That is even funnier to me.

Actually the Eagle was AMC, before Chrysler bought them out. It is interesting to think that it has come full circle- AWD station wagons and station wagons in general (oh, sorry, I mean CROSSOVERS) are in style again...
Don't think we will see fake wood paneling anytime soon though.

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
cjjhalfcab said:
So guess what that leaves us in 20 years? Hondas and Toyotas. So if you want to make a wise investment, squirrel away a cherry Honda, Mitsubishi, or Toyota. And to be even smarter load you up a warehouse full of fart cannon tailpipes and porch swing deck spoilers. Those should be gold in 15 years or so.

That noise was me vomiting....

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
J.R.Nice nailed it! I have only been in this world for 30 years, but my father said when he was growing up that alot of the cars that people are going crazy over now you couldn't pay a poor country boy to drive back then! I think that cars are popular because they remind you of good times you had growing up, ie. my first car, my parents car I had to drive ect. That's how it is with me and the bronco. Some of my fondest memories involved an eb! I now have my third one and can't picture myself ever growing out of my love of them. The kids growing up now are just as into there cars as we were, unfortionatley they are all Jap cars now! But American muscle is coming back! Anyhow just my .02!

SpecBlend04

Loc.
Sarasota
American Muscle is definitely coming back. One of the main reasons some cars become classic is because they represent an era, or at least a particular time or trend. The strange thing is, certain cars that most enthusiasts would overlook today are already earmarked for classic status. Look at the Toyota Supra. Kids who saw the "fast and the furious" will never forget that car. Also look at the Honda civic SI, people are actually drag racing those ! That hatchback set the cheap car design trend that was used in the ford focus svt and even on that new hatchback mercedes that looks like crap.

I have seen alot of replies that say the cars that were cheap are now classics, but I think that is also something that is changing. Today expensive cars are defining trends more and more, because there are so many more people with more money. Not to mention car insurance is much more expensive today, which makes it much more difficult for young people without parental support to buy and run a cheap car. There are so many people in that "upper-middle class" suburbanite group who will spring for the Bimmer or Benz or whatever.

Who knows, classic cars may be like classic rock. Specific to a particular period in automotive history, with new cars that take styling cues and ideas from the origionals just like musicians do today. Its already happening. That new Lexus with the swiveling headlight to turn around corners...I forget the name of the car, but it has definitely been done, expcept before the light was mechanicaly tied in to the steering linkage.

I will step down from my soapbox

FJC

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
SpecBlend04 said:
That new Lexus with the swiveling headlight to turn around corners...I forget the name of the car, but it has definitely been done, expcept before the light was mechanicaly tied in to the steering linkage.

FJC

!950's Turner? or something like that.

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
I think the Generation 1 1993-95 Ford Lightnings will reach classic status. Actually they already are getting there.:)

TheLimeRanger

classic

the Tucker had the swiveling center, third light.........i think there will be cars and trucks that will always be popular. look at late 60's camaros, heck there are like 3 in garages on my block!....but when wsa the last time you saw something like a 74 mercury capri running around? Im almost ashamed to admit this ,but i also drive an 85 celica gts convertible...less than 5k produced. pretty neat little car, but slower than molasses. there's always going to be something that people love, even from this time period. i think you guys that said it reminds people of a different time are dead on! my EB is just like that for me. my Dad bought his in 74 brand new, and he still has it. every time i get in mine it just reminds me of being in his and how cool i thought it was. Although i must confess, i cant imagine anyone saying "my dad had a sable wagon, and i really want one bad"
Scott

Eoth

Bronco Guru
The key to being a classic is to be able to link it back to something unique or defining a period of time. All these "bubble cars" are not going to make it.. Some of these retro vehicles (T-Bird, PT Cruiser, etc) have a chance... I think that the true test of a vehicles potential to become a classic is if you can tell what make and model is at first glance. And mark my words, some day the Gremlan will be worth more in working conditition than for scrap.......

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
we are on the verge of excellence. Classic 57 T-birds, 63 split windows will always out do modern classics, but guys think of what modern day has to offer. Saleen mustangs, ROUSH mustangs, Lingenfelter Corvettes, Hennisey VIpers, even the SVT Lightnings,SVT Cobras,LS6 Tran-Ams etc....although these are out of some of our price ranges(mainly mine), they are still the appeal of classics for our future generations......These are the best cars out in Years.......heck the mid seventies nearly shut down the car industry.........IMHO........but the later 80's and 90's and even now has brought that back. ......again just look at modern day, lightnings, and even the SRT or whatever it is Dodge truck that claims fastest production vechicle on the planet!!!

Yea I know I said 70's..........but the only thing good out of detroit in the 70's was the broncos in my opinon!
Thanks
Bronco Ben

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
Jeepster said:
!950's Turner? or something like that.

that would be the "Tucker" . There even is a movie about it. Pretty cool i might add....

MontrealBronco

Loc.
Montreal, Quebec
weps said:
will rare really mean valuable though? i think there has to be some vehicle base to insure parts and appeal. id put the yugo in the same class as the trabant and many other econoshitboxes. interesting, but no real reason to value them at this time.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a Trabant. I would't put it in the same class as the Yugo. The Trabant, the original Beetle and the Citroen 2CV are cars I would love to own because they made their mark in the history of the modern world. Same as the Ford model T, the Willis (for military fans) or the old Land Rover.

Nowadays, no cars are worth keeping. Companies try too hard. Cars are being produced in line with todays fashions or trends. How long does a model last now, 3-4 years max. compared to 10-15 years ago. Besides Ferraris, I think only the Dodge Viper as a real classic appeal because it is just bad a$$ and was made to drive. The Ford GT is coming along nicely too...

BTW, the lexus with the pivoting headlights is the RX330... I have to admit, it's a pretty nice car for getting from A to B. I wouldn't mind one a as daily drive...:cool:

Jeff

Eoth

Bronco Guru
As for rare being a stipulation, I would say definitely not.. I just got rid of a 1973 Saab Sonnet III. Very rare, cool looking, light, fast, etc..... But it is so rare that nobody knows about them and therefore there is very little demand for them.. You would have thought I was selling a parts car for what I got for it...

JMurray

I think that ANY car that runs on gasoline will become classics as soon as they get replaced with electric or hydrogen cars, I am sure some folks a long time ago were saddened by the replacement of the Prarie Schooner :)
Jerry

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
JMurray said:
I am sure some folks a long time ago were saddened by the replacement of the Prarie Schooner :)
Jerry
I don't think so, I go to eastern Europe 2 or three times a year and there are many beast drawn carts, they would love an old MF, or fordson

74bronc

Bronco Guru
feitctaj said:
I guess , as usual , you and I disagree to the core, I would not put anything less that 30 years old in classic catagory.Or did I missread the subject?

yes, I think you did misread. The original poster asked which cars we think would be considered classics and be desired by people who rebuild cars in 30, 40 or 50 years. The cars that I mentioned are some of the ones that I think will be considered classics long after their time. I don't think they are classics now, just the potential to be classics at some point in the very distant future.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
I guess in My eyes, BMWs belong with the SKODA, I have no interest in them. New corvetes are like the 78 and 79, boring(yawn),