• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clear coat when using flat black paint?

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It depends if you are talking a rattle can driveway job or something you want to look professional. They make satin (flat) finish clear coat and/or flattening agents you can add to clear coat if you want a flat finish. It's a bit tricky to put on a flat clear as you don't have the option of sanding and buffing out mistakes. Do some practice pieces first.

Last edited:

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Most paint lines have flattening agents for thier clears and single stage. Some also have a separate clear altogether. You have to get it right with no runs or dirt because if you buff it it will start to shine back up.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
My Answer is going to be very old school ....But I had a ? 1972 Vega 302 chevy and 400 auto Mariso everything ..... I painted it Bright Corvette Yellow with Flat Black Skunk stripes ...flat hood scope and flat tail lamp trunk besel...
But the flat crazed wheh I put the 2nd coat on ........Instructions said only put in the top coat .....Well my top coat didn't suit me so I was heading for a better coverage .............N O T ..............MAN what a paint job but it sure stunk when it wrinkled up .. I sold that project at that point ......
...read the instructions on the flatner

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Basic rule: It will depend on the paint system you use. Wether it be flat, semi, or high gloss, some paint systems are designed as multi-stage base/clear systems, and some are designed as single stage systems.

Just follow the instructions for your particular paint and/or the advice your paint shop gives you.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I just saw that Eastwood Co. makes a single stage flat black paint that is for rat rods. Single stage with no clear top coat. Might be worth a try.