• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clicking after finding TDC

jdeignan

I am retiming my truck... but my timing marks have been hard to see for a while.
Today, I pulled the #1 plug, and hand rotated the crank (very slowly) to find TDC with a piston stop. Throughout the process I probably rotated the crank more than one rotation to make sure I was on the compression stroke. Found TDC, made my marks etc.

Fired it up, odd clicking noise at idle. Shut it down as soon as I realized it.
Did I screw something up here?

May your responses be inexpensive!

OP
OP
jdeignan

jdeignan

Update:
I basically did everything again.
Found TDC, verified that the rotor was pointing to #1, reassembled.
Fired it up- no issues anymore.

What. The. Heck lol

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on what was clicking.
If it was lifters, maybe they just needed to get pumped back up and oil pressure was slow to build. Did you watch the oil pressure gauge when you first fired it up?

Maybe an exhaust leak that magically fixed itself? A compression leak through a loose spark plug? Maybe a squeaking vacuum leak that just decided to stop.
Can be lots of things, including fuel injectors. Some of them buggers are noisy buggers.
Do you have EFI or a carburetor?

But no matter what, the "no clicking" part is the key to happiness for now!
And very inexpensive too...

Paul

OP
OP
jdeignan

jdeignan

Depends on what was clicking.
If it was lifters, maybe they just needed to get pumped back up and oil pressure was slow to build. Did you watch the oil pressure gauge when you first fired it up?

Maybe an exhaust leak that magically fixed itself? A compression leak through a loose spark plug? Maybe a squeaking vacuum leak that just decided to stop.
Can be lots of things, including fuel injectors. Some of them buggers are noisy buggers.
Do you have EFI or a carburetor?

But no matter what, the "no clicking" part is the key to happiness for now!
And very inexpensive too...

Paul

Hope it wasnt an injector! Since I don’t have them! Shes carbd.
I am thinking the lifter/oil pressure issue too. Didnt see the gauge but it makes the most sense, as is the only thing that would “fix” itself.

Crisis averted!