• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch bell crank(Equalizer bar) question

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
Anyone know what type of bolt this uses to the block, I am finally getting the trans in and I noticed this is missing and since I didn't remove the trans I don't know what it looks like. Is it a bolt with a long unthreaded portion so the bar rotates?

Dusty

Bronco Guru
The bracket bolts to the block with just ordinary bolts. I forget what size though. There are two bolts, one that goes in the engine block and one in the bellhousing, if I recall correctly. The bracket itself does NOT pivot. The equalizer bar, which looks like a short piece of round tube with two flat bar arms, does pivot. It rides on little plastic bushings, one on the block/bellhousing bracket, the other on the frame bracket. There are schematic drawings of it floating around, check the Tech section here or the diagram archives on bronco.com or JBG's site. Replace those little plastic bushings while you've got everything apart. BC Broncos has them.

Dusty

OP
OP
FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
Thanks Dusty, I'll dig through my assortment of SAE bolts and find two that will work.

Now if I could only get the trans to go in that last inch to the bellhousing...seems to be hitting the pilot bearing. It's through the clutch since I can't spin the output yoke unless i put it in neutral. My buddy eyeballed the clutch instead of using a clutch tool since I couldn't find the right one in the shop...maybe I should have checked it as well %)

Dusty

Bronco Guru
FSRBIKER said:
Thanks Dusty, I'll dig through my assortment of SAE bolts and find two that will work.

Now if I could only get the trans to go in that last inch to the bellhousing...seems to be hitting the pilot bearing. It's through the clutch since I can't spin the output yoke unless i put it in neutral. My buddy eyeballed the clutch instead of using a clutch tool since I couldn't find the right one in the shop...maybe I should have checked it as well %)

I would back the tranny out, loosen the pressure plate assembly then properly align the clutch plate with a clutch alignment tool. I'm sure that's why you're having problems getting it to go in correctly now. The tolerances are too tight to eyeball it. You can get the alignment tool from Vatozone for pretty cheap (or borrow it on their loaner program).

Dusty

OP
OP
FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
I am really pissed now, the only reason i didn't buy another tool was no local places carry them anymore....well that's at least what the managers told me. So I look up on Advanced Auto's site the part number to order it..but I called just now and guess what they have it in stock!!

Hopefully I can slide it on the crossmember and balance it with my jack without having to drop the tranny, remove the bellhousing and align the clutch. AAAUUUGhhhhhhhhh!!

brian72

Early Bronco Student
yeah - gonna be a pain....don't drop it on your toe.