• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

clutch swap is turning into project

marks bronco

Loc.
Pinellas Park,Fla.
I needed to replace my throut out bearing in my 68 3 speed and have everything dropped from the truck. Now when i turned the trans over fluid started leaking from the plat like theres a weep hole. Is that supposed to be a vent of some kind? and now that its half drained what kind of oil goes back in it? also ive never done the 3 finger type clutch befor so does the through bearing clip to the fork arm and rest against the inside or outside the 3 fingers and now most important I will be separating the transfer case from the trans at the adapter on the trans and heard someone once mention that theres a tool to keep the trans in 1st gear or else the bearings in the trans could fall out. Anyone heard of this or have any guidance!

Revelation

Bronco Guru
If you turned the trans. over the oil should leak out the vent hole.
While your at it go ahead and drain the rest and refill, Use a good grade of gear oil, maybe a Synthetic one.
The throw out bearing clips on the clutch fork, when it goes back together it will self align on the 3 fingers.
Never heard of bearings falling out of the trans, BUT if you separate the Intermediate housing from the T-Case you could loose some of the 13 sisters, the 13 bearings have been known to fall into the t-case, they can be retreived but if you don't remove the housing from the T-case you will be fine.

OP
OP
marks bronco

marks bronco

Loc.
Pinellas Park,Fla.
Thanks,I guess ill pick up a trans jack tomorrow since itll be cheaper than the gasket kits if I should lose a bearing and remove the xhaust so the cross member will clear