• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cobra Jet Engine

hackyrat

I heard of a tired unbored 351 Cobra Jet engine from a 72 mustang nearby I need to take a look at. Anyone know anything about these engines? Would this be a Windsor or Clevland or perhaps it could be either during this year? (looking for stroker material)

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
That would be a Cleavland engine. Probably 4 bolt main block , pretty good heads, pick itup if you can get it cheap even if you don't use it, someone will want it.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
If it is a CobraJet motor. It is a 351C 4V with 4 bolt mains similiar to the BOSS 351. Compression, Cam and the use of hydraulic lifters would be the difference. Go for it if it is cheap.

71bronco

Loc.
boise id
i had two of these motors, both 4 bolt blocks, and both in torino's. they could really move that boat along! great engine
and easy to get alot of power from. thing is, too much headache for my bronco to transplant, and my opinion was that a windsor has more possibility for bottom end torque. my thought to achieve the same with a clevland is to put on 2 bl heads and a 4 barrel manifold. my 2cents is buy the engine and find a mustang guy to buy it. i think its a q code for 72........

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Just an interesting side note here, my cleveland's code is a cobrajet block but it only has 2 bolt mains. I have read in several books that some cobrajets escaped with only 2 bolt mains from the foundry.
Anyways, if it is a cobrajet then I would definately snag it up and if you decide not to build it then you can make a good profit by selling it to the pantera or mustang crowds. Heck even if its not a cobrajet just get it anyways. Clevelands are getting rarer each day.

Wildturkey

BANNED
Loc.
Coker, Alabama
Buy that engine if you want to get a Mustang or Torino later but the Bronco will be a tough swap I think.If you get a good buy get it and shop it to the hotrodders.Those thing are few and far between.Never been bored?Buy it.If you dont let me know where and how much.

67ster

Bronco Guru
Grab it if it a standard block because they are getting harder to find . They will only stand a .060 overbore max. then they are trash . Good trading material . I know the thought of a salty Cleveland is tempting but the Windsor is so much easier.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Here's a CobraJet 351C 4V D2ZE-A casting on heads, D2AE-CA casting on block

351c4v.jpg

2nd_time.jpg

cactushorse

[quote author=Desert Thrasher link=board=5;threadid=17756;start=0#msg135892 date=1053660551]
Just an interesting side note here, my cleveland's code is a cobrajet block but it only has 2 bolt mains. I have read in several books that some cobrajets escaped with only 2 bolt mains from the foundry.

[/quote] I've read too that there seems to be a combination of identifiers to decide what these motors are. Con rod numbers being one of them. Seems like some came with solid lifters and push rod guides. But it seems to me that info is pretty scarce and subject to each author. boss 351,351cj,351 ho ???? somebody should know the diff.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
BOSS 351 (R code) came with a mechanical cam with adjustable rocker and guide plates, Higher comp.ratio with dome pistons and semi-quench heads.

351 HO (R code) was the same only difference was the flat top pistons and non-quench heads. (lower comp.ratio)

351 CobraJet (Q code) had a hydraulic cam with dished pistons.

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
Not all CJs and 4vs came with 4 bolt mains, and from what I understand it isn't unheard of for 4 bolt blocks to show up in 2V engines -- it seems Ford used whatever block was available at the time of assembly. And the Cleveland will usually only stand about .030 overbore due to excessive core shift during casting; you can go higher, but you'll have to have the block sonic checked to make sure it will take it, or the boring bar may cut through to the water jackets. And even at +.030 they can still run a little warm (mine does). The Clevelands can be kind of a mystery, mostly because of their short 4 year run, and the different animals Ford made out of it in that short 4 years. I love the Clevelands, and am finding a new appreciation for 400s. As for installing one in a Bronco, I don't see where the difficulty is; the exhaust and plumbing the lower radiator hose to the opposite side should be the biggest obstacle. You have to change oil pans, but you have to do that with a Windsor also, so that's no big deal.

Wow Mad, I thought only 70 and 71 had closed chambers, and the CJs had open chamber heads -- I guess I poo pooed that. I went to a big yard an hour or so away yesterday and found a 351C 2V someone dropped in a mid 60s Ford truck, it still had the factory correct "351 2V" air cleaner on it. Pretty sure that block would be standard bore, but the heads looked to be mis-matched, so I'm not sure if someone has been in it or not (another thing Ford did). I'd have loved to grab it up, maybe one day I will (if it doesn't have a date with the crusher first). Just for reference, what would be a fair price for a complete Clevo? It's been a while, I paid I think $125 (?) several years ago for a 74 4V from air cleaner to oil pan, but don't really know the value of any Cleveland (2V or 4V) today.