• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coil Arcing

fisherleep

Loc.
Lawrenceville, GA
I've been trying to narrow down a fuse blowing issue for the last few months.

My coil is arcing with the key in the run position and the motor not running. Not sure what it is arcing to but I can hear it spark. Every time it arcs it blows the fusable link. It seems as though the ignition module or ignition switch may be faulty but I've replaced both. I don't think the coil is bad because the motor runs fine, it just blows the fuse. I have also replaced the fusable link with a circuit breaker. I am getting the (what I think is) correct voltage to the coil, ~9 and ~1.5 to the +, - sides respectively. Any thoughts, getting frustrated as I hear the breaker clicking in the background.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you have a hot wire going to ground somewhere. But I am not sure where you would start checking. Maybe your ign. wires.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like a dead short to ground, but I don't suspect the coil or any of the ignition.

Go to a dark place, start wiggling wires until it pops. Follow the sparks. Could be anything inclusing a harness that has finally chaffed through after years of rubbing, wires not routed through gromets in the firewall, electrical items failing internially.

Good luck, intermittent electrical problems are the hardest thing to diagnos.

slcpunk

Loc.
The WB, UTAH
not sure if this helps, but when I put an msd box on my isuzu trooper(I know I know) the coil would arc from the coil +terminal to the ground. I could drive this thing all day, and it would be ok but everyonce in a while it would run bad(chev 2.8 go figure). I just replaced the coil with an msd unit and it has been fine ever since. So I really dont think this help but at the very least you are bumped back to the top. good luck