• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

cold duck question

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
JW posted pics of a cold duck in post #112 of Nyles' post here: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170857&page=7

what's the purpose of the hose?

I guess because the thread is archived, I can't open the pics to get a better view...

I'm looking at redrilling a d20 to clock it just under the rear case, thus the rail would be on top and shouldn't leak.

AND DON'T TALK HERE ABOUT GOING 203 OR ATLAS OR STAK OR KLUNE OR...WHATEVER ELSE...

This is just a thought project resulting from a sick day on the couch. Crazy things go thru your mind when you're high on drugs with a fever.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
From my understanding it was a old way to achieve an overdrive by adding another gear set or under drive depending how things were done. That method is not very efficient compared to proper gearing for your tires and an actual OD transmission etc.

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I do see how you could make a 40 or 42% OD with it. You could do really deep axle ratios, but you'd wind up having to split 3 & 4 to keep From having a huge jump from 4th OD, if you know what I'm saying. Like a two speed axle in a big truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It's been a long time since the Cold Duck got analyzed. But if I remember correctly the shift rail is now at the bottom. The shift rail cap that normally only has to deal with air is now acting like a (poorly made) hydraulic cylinder. I believe that is simply a vent to allow the back of the shift rail to move without being hydraulically jammed.

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bowsher, I would be clocking it to the drivers side so the rail is still on top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
It's been a long time since the Cold Duck got analyzed. But if I remember correctly the shift rail is now at the bottom. The shift rail cap that normally only has to deal with air is now acting like a (poorly made) hydraulic cylinder. I believe that is simply a vent to allow the back of the shift rail to move without being hydraulically jammed.

BINGO!

The later versions had machined shift rail to eliminate the hose.

Jim

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have 2 of those, one with the hose and one without. Running the one without the hose in my green 73. Have to change the shift rail seal every couple years but it's easy to do.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I got one of the last ones from WH. Mine has a vent hose that goes up to a catch can. The shift rail leaks a little oil. It wasn't meant to be submerged in oil.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The one I'm running now has that vent and I made a catch can out of plastic pipe and have it on the passenger inner fender. Only time it pushes any oil into it when you drive on the hwy.

Attachments

• photo107.jpg
    photo107.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 39
  • photo106.jpg
    photo106.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 30