• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cold weather no start

richea33

Any idea on no start during cold temps? New plugs, wires, rebuilt holley 4160. Coil is original. Dizzy is Mallory elctronic. Pulled plug and spark seems weak and only sparks when plug is actually grounded to block. Carb is getting fuel, Will not even fire with starting fluid. I've owned my 71' for 25 years and this is first time with this issue. I'm thinking coils just not producing enough spark. I had previous luck earlier this winter by removing one spark plug and it oddly enough started with plug removed. Temps are colder now and no joy. Thanks in advance.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome.
When was the last time the plugs were changed? Also what plugs are you using? Are the plugs wet when you remove them to check for spark?

kp89

Loc.
Huntsville
what i've noticed about the 4160 is that they need constant readjustment when it starts to get cold until the temp levels out. the change in temp and humidity really screws with them, mine anyway...

try checking the float bowl levels to make sure they're even with the check holes, also play with the idle speed a little bit

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Is the choke adjusted and working properly? I never had any good experiances with champion plugs on ford engines. Might want to double check they are the correct heat range for your engine. I had a issue with my 71 it would start up and die then wouldnt start back up. Spark was weak. While the plugs were correct for the year they were different heat range than my 73. I used the 73 heat range and havent had a issue since.
I'd suggest trying autolite plugs.

vinson

Loc.
south bend
don't know how cold it is there, but you could have some water in fuel an it will freeze an not let gas flow, can try some heet in the gas tank.

OP
OP
richea33

richea33

Thanks for the ideas so far. Because it will not even fire with SF, I think fuel can be eliminated. So now spark? Shouldn't I be able to see spark at the plug when it is removed? I can only see a little spark when I ground the plug to the block. Since this issue started, I've replaced plugs, Wires and rebuilt carb, so I have to eliminate those as well. I am going to try and test the coil for output soon. Thanks again and welcome any other thoughts.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The spark is trying to jump to ground so if the plug isn't grounded it will find a shorter path to ground somewhere else. How does the distributor cap and rotor look?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 the only time a plug will spark is when it is grounded.
Want to find out how good your coil is hold onto the plug with one hand and the engine with the other and crank it over.
But really some plugs are just garbage. You could get another coil they are fairly cheap but so are plugs and you will be garrenteed to use them in the future if they are not the issue..

OP
OP
richea33

richea33

Got it started. Had the boy crank it over and rotated the dizzy just a bit. The timing wasn't off, but the cold weather had an affect. I will probably replace the rotor and cap.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Retarded timing does help starting. While the timing may not seem to be off it could have to much initial advance to start properly. What do you have it set at?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
16BTDC is a little much. Thats probably why it starts hard. I'd be suprised if it started easy in the summer with that much timing. 10-12 is usually about max. Of course if you have a non stock cam/timing chain set and its not installed striaght up then it could just give a different timing reading.