• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Column mount tach mounting

Incognito

Loc.
Key West, Florida
I am adding a column mounted ford Tach to a stock column. Can I drill two holes in the outer tubing of the column to mount it or should I fabricate some sort of clamp? How much room is ther inside the tube between the tube and the shaft?

Thanks

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I drilled amd tapped mine, but it was in the larger diameter section above the shift collar. Best pic I have.
I want to say the shift tube inside is about 1" in diameter. Assuming the column is 2" OD (don't remember exactly but you can measure) you'd have just under 1/2" to get a drill and tap in there. I think it could be done if you're careful.

Attachments

• DSCN3511.JPG
    DSCN3511.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 115

jurob

Loc.
Virginia Beach, Va
use a hose clamp and clamp it on. most aftermarket tachs come with a bracket that looks like a foot and has 2 slots for the hose clamp to go through.

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
X2 on the hose clamp.. it cost under a buck and you can move it around if you dont like it..

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Welded a mount to my front cage for mine.......

Attachments

• DSC01416.JPG
    DSC01416.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 44

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I just run a hose clamp and have it covered with an old school sports watch band;D

Attachments

• Bezel1.jpg
    Bezel1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Bezel2.jpg
    Bezel2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 22

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Welded a mount to my front cage for mine.......

that's the way I'm gonna do mine when I get around to revamping my cage setup.
another idea I had was to grab a Rally-pak from an early mustang to use.
they aren't real cheap, but it'd be cool.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Stroppe hose clamped them to the column. If it's good enough for old Bill, it's good enough for me! ;D :p

wildhorses76

Loc.
Kaplan, Louisiana
Now you are just getting fancy on us:cool:

work paid for it.....so it was free....we sometimes have to use stainless ty-wraps on drilling rigs (oil) because plastic does not last (UV rays) and MMS (minerals management services) require this. Probably more than you needed to know, but I felt like spilling. "Panduit" is the company who makes the ones we have for those who want to know.