• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Complete Cooling System Rebuild Options

Saltywater

Loc.
Newnan
Thanks for your recommendations on my over-heating problems (see recent thread). My timing was a little off (no improvement) and my carb is set perfect (lean/rich mixture and floats). Still having the same problems. I'm ditching the heavy duty radiator for one slimmer.

Can someone please confirm for me a configuration that really fits. I would love to convert to a Mustang/Taurus type electric fan and upgrade the alternator, but I'm afraid they are too thick? I have very little space between the water pump pulley and the radiator. I also have a Vintage Air A/C compressor to contend with (protrudes out the top portion of the motor and requires a fan spacer to clear. Also places the fan too close to the radiator).

The serpentine conversion is the real deal, but I can't afford it right now. I have already disassembled the whole system once and I want to ensure this will be the last time I have to worry about the cooling system for a while. Please help!

I'll send you pictures of the quagmire if it would help you visualize my problem. Thanks again!

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
After reading your post, I'd either go with trying chucks radiator, or going with the flex-a-lite sirocco dual electric fan. It's only 2.5" think!!! I checked it out already. It's 179$ at summit. not so bad. Currently, I'm running a 16" puller I got off ebay, new for 45$ and a hayden fan controller. It's good but I dunno if it'll pull enough air for when it get hot up here in NY... If my 16" fan doesn't work I'm gonna buy the flex-a-lite sirocco setup and see what that's all about...

72Sport

Bronco Guru
You might have a blown head gasket. A very slight head gasket leak will give you fits.

When I bought my used 72 boat in 76 it had intermittent overheating problems but ran great. How do you have an overheating problem when the whole lake is your radiator. When I went to the local boat shop the first words out of the mechanics mouth were "if it is a 302 and if it has ever been hot it has a blown head gasket". Since it only had 38 hours on it I knew he was wrong. Two years of fighting with it I pulled the heads. Let see that was 26 years ago. No more problems after new head gaskets.

Take it too a radiator shop and have them do a test to see if there are exhaust gases in the coolant.

When you get ready to change to serpentine with Vintage Air there is a picture of mine in the help forum. No fan clearance problems.

OP
OP
S

Saltywater

Loc.
Newnan
News Flash!

It appears as if I am leaking antifreeze where the timing chain cover mounts to the block, just to the right and behind the water pump????? It is a small amount of seepage, but I can wipe it away (engine cold) and it will slowly reappear (without having to start the engine). If nothing else, I believe I have the perfect name for my EB "Thorn" (in my side). Also used the old stethoscope trick to discover my ps pump is noisy (chattering like worn bearings or a dull grinding). I really believe I would enjoy this thing if I could get it running, it just appears as if I will wear out my welcome on this forum before I reach that point.