• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Complete Suspension Solution Advice Needed

FoMoCoBronCo

Hey guys, I’m looking for some up-to-date advice on putting together a complete suspension solution for my ’71 (currently no body or suspension lift). I have done a good bit of research on this forum and think I’m in the general area of what I need, but would love some feedback. The goal is to achieve the smoothest solution with as little bounce and movement in the cab as possible when handling potholes / speedbumps.

I just completed a fairly extensive refresh (rebuilt 302, C4 swap, hydro boost/disc conversion, power steering, engine bay / frame repaint, recovered seats, etc.) to get this Bronco ready to be my daily driver. While I had everything apart, I replaced both front and rear shocks (the PO had worn-out dual aftermarkets on front and worn-out originals on the rear) with KYB Excel-G gas shocks (344426 & 344085). I also replaced the original front springs with Precision Coil Springs (SP08121) from O’Reilly’s. I also swapped the tires to an 31x10.5 A/T BF Goodrich

I’ve been driving this now for about 2 months and probably have put about 1500 miles on it. The suspension and handling is MUCH improved from when I got it, but it could still use a lot of improvement in the ride comfort department. Unfortunately, my neighborhood has 4 speedbumps, so that’s 8 times a day over those things to & from work. I have to go incredibly slow over them and I still get a ton of bounce, squeaking, and rattle. If I hit a pothole on the interstate, I’ll get a decent bit of movement.

Here’s kind of where I’m at with research:

• I’m pretty sure that I could improve the bounciness a lot by upgrading to the Duff/ Eibach shocks (it seems like those are newer improvement over the Bilsteins that everyone ran for the longest time.) Is that the best shock you can buy for an early bronco without going custom?
  • I’ve read conflicting info on what type of coils are best for street use- linear of progressive, so some help there would be appreciated. Also, is there such a thing as “better” or “worse” coil springs? Would spending the $$ on a “premium” spring like H&R or Eibach make a difference?
  • How would adding a sway bar improve ride handling?
  • I’m still running my original leaf springs and they 100% need to be replaced (they’re sagging and the leaves are twisted / splayed. Same question as the coil springs- are all leaf springs created equally? Or are there certain brands that produce vastly superior ride quality?
  • Is it possible to achieve excellent ride quality with front coil springs/shocks and rear leaf springs/shocks? Or do you need to add a “link-suspension” to truly get top of the line street performance (like Duff's 4-link)?
At some point in the future, I plan to add a 1” body lift to help with airflow / transmission clearance if I upgrade to AOD. (I’d go to a 2”, but worried about all the stuff I’d have to modify)

I’m still unsure about suspension lift, but I know that I need to figure that out before I order any of the above lol. I wouldn’t go over 2.5.” If anyone can talk about pros/cons of suspension lift when it comes to handling / ride quality, I’d appreciate it. The extra ground clearance for trails / maintenance would be nice, plus I’d enjoy the additional ride height on the interstate. Would the extra wheel travel help with rough roads / bounciness?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
The shock debate rages on, no real opinion here.
Progressive springs will do better for street daily/driver
New leaf springs in back (with lots of leaves) will change your world.
Sway bar will improve street cornering and safety, but many (including me) don't like them for many reasons including interfering with other components like TRO or shock hoops.
Not too much to modify for a 2" body lift, especially with an automatic - you will like the added clearance in the future.

-JB

OP
OP
F

FoMoCoBronCo

Hey JB, thanks for the reply!
The shock debate rages on, no real opinion here.
Progressive springs will do better for street daily/driver
I was looking at James Duff's "package" options. They're expensive, but seemed to have a comprehensive solution that was designed to all work together....any thoughts on that?
When you say "lots of leaves," are you achieving this with a suspension lift? (more lift = more springs?) Or do you mean more & thinner leaves for the same amount of lift?
Sway bar will improve street cornering and safety, but many (including me) don't like them for many reasons including interfering with other components like TRO or shock hoops.
I'm considering a 1.5" - 2" lift, and I won't be doing any serious crawling, so I don't think I'll be needing shock hoops or TRO?
Not too much to modify for a 2" body lift, especially with an automatic - you will like the added clearance in the future.
Is it worth the extra inch to go to 2"? I don't mind swapping little things like brake lines and fuel filler hoses, but wasn't too thrilled with the idea of having to swap e-brake lines, extend my shifter rod, cut/lower my fan shroud, and modify my steering shaft and column brackets. On the steering column, I did swap to a '75 setup w/ a rag joint for the PS upgrade, so maybe it won't need adjustment?

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I prefer to buy a complete kit. Go with Wild Horses or Duffs. Good quality progressive coils will make a difference in the ride for sure. A quality leaf pack with a bunch of leafs will help to. Body lift will have no effect on ride quality but certainly can help with clearance, but remember body or suspension lift will raise the center of gravity so body role will be amplified. I would keep your over all lift to a minimum unless you just want to roll big tires for clearance. A sway bar will help with body roll but can limit you off road.

I went through multiple suspension set ups over the years on my 67. I did the Wild Horses 3.5" lift with progressive coils, Bilstein Shocks, all new rubber bushings all new bolts, new rear leafs, basically everything and it is by far the best ride my truck has ever had. Replace it all at one time so you know its right. I did a 1" body lift to add a little more clearance for 35" tires and so I had a little more room for my NP-435Trans. From what you describe I would do a 2.5" suspension lift with no body lift, that will give you clearance for 33" tires keep your center of gravity low and keep your driveline and brake line modifications to a minimum.

But dont forget the bronco is a short wheelbase, high center of gravity, solid axle, big tire truck! it will never ride like a modern car or SUV it is going to bounce and have body roll. Thats kind of what makes it fun!

OP
OP
F

FoMoCoBronCo

Thanks for the reply, EP! Great info.
I would do a 2.5" suspension lift with no body lift, that will give you clearance for 33" tires keep your center of gravity low and keep your driveline and brake line modifications to a minimum.
The reason I'm considering a 1" or 2" BL was to increase airflow between the body and drivetrain for cooling purposes + add'l clearance for an eventual upgrade to an AOD transmission

Also, I just shelled out $1K for a set of brand new 31s, so I'm trying to stick with those for now.

What's your opinion on a 1.5" SL + 1" BL for 2.5" overall? Is a 1.5" SL just so small that it's not even worth it? One of my concerns with a 2.5" SL + 1" BL and 31s, was that the tires look a little small relative to the stance.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
So if you want to stick with the 31" tires I wouldn't do more than the 1.5" SL. and the 1" body lift. Especially if your bronco doesn't have cut fenders. If the truck has cut fenders the tires my look a little lost in the wheel well. The silver truck in the attached pic had 31" tires with a 2.5 suspension lift and it looked good. the Orange bronco had 33" tires iwth a 2.5 suspension lift. Neither of them had a body lift.

Attachments

• DSC02137.JPG
    DSC02137.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00879.JPG
    DSC00879.JPG
    252.3 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
F

FoMoCoBronCo

So if you want to stick with the 31" tires I wouldn't do more than the 1.5" SL. and the 1" body lift. Especially if your bronco doesn't have cut fenders. If the truck has cut fenders the tires my look a little lost in the wheel well. The silver truck in the attached pic had 31" tires with a 2.5 suspension lift and it looked good. the Orange bronco had 33" tires iwth a 2.5 suspension lift. Neither of them had a body lift.

65aedaed8440ac322bd40a876d9bf634.jpg

This is how she looks today- 31” tires, cut rear fenders with flares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Hey JB, thanks for the reply!

I was looking at James Duff's "package" options. They're expensive, but seemed to have a comprehensive solution that was designed to all work together....any thoughts on that?

When you say "lots of leaves," are you achieving this with a suspension lift? (more lift = more springs?) Or do you mean more & thinner leaves for the same amount of lift?

I'm considering a 1.5" - 2" lift, and I won't be doing any serious crawling, so I don't think I'll be needing shock hoops or TRO?

Is it worth the extra inch to go to 2"? I don't mind swapping little things like brake lines and fuel filler hoses, but wasn't too thrilled with the idea of having to swap e-brake lines, extend my shifter rod, cut/lower my fan shroud, and modify my steering shaft and column brackets. On the steering column, I did swap to a '75 setup w/ a rag joint for the PS upgrade, so maybe it won't need adjustment?
I don't remember how many leaves the stock springs had, but lots less than any of the kids available today.

I'm a Wild Horses guy, although I did get my front steering from Duffs, they both make great suspension kits as do several others.

I went 2 in with the stock e-brake line, although it was a limiting factor. The fan shroud is really not that difficult.

Newer shocks are better, you probably don't need double shocks up front.

Based on the picture that you just posted, I would say two and a half inch suspension and 33s are your best look. I ran for years with 31s and it just always looked too small.

JB

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Yeah keep your lift to a minimum. Why dont you just do the 1.5" SL for now. Then if in the future you really want that trans upgrade you do the body lift at that point and maybe by then you get bigger tires to match. I think the 31s are going to look too small with 2.5" of over all lift. The bronco in the attached pic is no lift at all and has 33 inch tires on it. and it fills the wheel wells in just right.

Attachments

• 20190328_161305.jpg
    20190328_161305.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 12