• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Complete off road cage??!!

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
thanks Guys, it was a 4-point for years but when I went with the Mastercraft seats and all the discussions on how to bolt the seats/cage to the body, it kind of morphed into a full cage with the seats bolted to the cage. So we can throw the 'well planned' concept out the window;)

Jim W.

OP
OP
beerad

beerad

Loc.
rochester mn
Just received my quote from complete for a family cage, gussets, over head bars, weld up for..................$888...not to bad I thought !!!

bchesley

Thats a great price, but Bailie Bilt is only 10$ more. I like the Bailie Bilt cage due to the hoop that crosses the frame in what I feel is the weakest point on the body. I got mine a few weeks ago and shipping to my door was only $130. Best purchase I have made yet. It has all the features your quote had plus provisions for lap belts.

Brad

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Thats a great price, but Bailie Bilt is only 10$ more. I like the Bailie Bilt cage due to the hoop that crosses the frame in what I feel is the weakest point on the body. I got mine a few weeks ago and shipping to my door was only $130. Best purchase I have made yet. It has all the features your quote had plus provisions for lap belts.

Brad

Trust me you want Gordons cage. The one from complete is good but his is better in terms of strength and weight. Also the halo design allows you to seemlessly slide the whole cage against a tree in a tight spot without getting hung up. Yes I have seen this.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Trust me you want Gordons cage. The one from complete is good but his is better in terms of strength and weight. Also the halo design allows you to seemlessly slide the whole cage against a tree in a tight spot without getting hung up. Yes I have seen this.

Not to mention he does a double B pillar with his design and floor bars.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Not to mention he does a double B pillar with his design and floor bars.

But that Bailie model is alot more than the $900 noted above... I wish he made it in a weldable kit, but I asked and they do no currently do that.

Of course- with any cage you should put a spreader between the main legs at the floor... and build a seat mount from that. That will provide more support should the body and frame part ways. A frame tie in is still a highly recommended idea as well...

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
thanks Guys, it was a 4-point for years but when I went with the Mastercraft seats and all the discussions on how to bolt the seats/cage to the body, it kind of morphed into a full cage with the seats bolted to the cage. So we can throw the 'well planned' concept out the window;)

Jim W.

When I welded mine up I put 1/4" plate on the bottom of the cage under all the seats. Yes it added probably 150 lbs but the plates sit on the floor and I welded seat mounts to the plate. This makes my seats 2" lower and since I'm running fiberglass if I get in a bad accident the cage & seats are one unit no matter what happens to the body or frame.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I gotta throw out some love for Protofab! Mike there is a great guy and I think he builds one of the nicest cages for the Bronco as well. What I particularly like about his cage is that it fits nice and tight to the windshield and doesn't really take up too much space inside which I think is important!

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
When I welded mine up I put 1/4" plate on the bottom of the cage under all the seats. Yes it added probably 150 lbs but the plates sit on the floor and I welded seat mounts to the plate. This makes my seats 2" lower and since I'm running fiberglass if I get in a bad accident the cage & seats are one unit no matter what happens to the body or frame.

So you bolt the seats to the plate instead of tabs? Do you mount the plate above or below the tube? I am assuming below due to the fact that you said it lowers the seats. Do you bolt through the body and the plate or just the plate somehow? I am running a glass body as well and am getting ready to build a cage and being over 6ft every inch counts.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
So you bolt the seats to the plate instead of tabs? Do you mount the plate above or below the tube? I am assuming below due to the fact that you said it lowers the seats. Do you bolt through the body and the plate or just the plate somehow? I am running a glass body as well and am getting ready to build a cage and being over 6ft every inch counts.

Yes, the plate is welded to the bottom of the tubes so it sits on the floor. I welded nuts to the top of the plate to bolt my seats to. The brackets for the fold & tumble rear were also welded to the plate under the rear seat. All the seatbelt mounts are on tabs mounted to the tube or plate. Basically the body could fly apart but the cage Should stay together as one unit. I had a couple tall guys try it out at the roundup at Gore and they really liked the low seats. I also removed the foot mounting brackets from the seat frames and bolted the sliders right to the plate, that's another 3".

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now this makes sense... when I spoke to him he didn't weld the cages anymore and they need to be trimmed and fit WTF... completes cages are welded in a jig.... for the rusted out bronco that needs to be trued up!... for about the same price.... correct me if im wrong%)

That's how Mike has always sold his cage kits. He lets the ends of each piece run long so that you can get however tight a fit you want when you fit it up. I've built a number of cages using Mike's kits over the years..going back almost a decade. That said...I don't know if Mikes former company, Complete Offroad, is selling Mikes cage products.?

Oh..and I'm running a 408 Cleveland too. That makes me one of the cool kids too, right?;D