• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cooling Issues...everyone favorite.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Seem my setup hit 200 real fast then stays at 200 on the highway. In city it has been going to 225; and this is w/o the a/c running (need to wire and charge it).

Advanced the timing a bit and it seem to make a little difference; no pinging uphill so I figure I'm ok.

I have the Ron Davis radiator and shroud

Flexalite fix pitched fan

Flowcooler Water Pump

External tranny cooler that runs thru the radiator then to the cooler.

so I'm a bit confused.

Thinking about getting a dyno tune-up then getting the system pressure tested.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What thermostat do you have?
What gauge are you running?

Stock gauges are not always accurate. The gain is usually fairly good but the offset point is usually what is off. So if you have a 160° stat and it shows 200 then the offset is off by 40° (as an example). That would put your 225° at a more real 185°.

OP
OP
HotWheels

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
(?)What thermostat do you have?

(a) I believe it's a 180.

(?) What gauge are you running?

(a) I am running an Autometer Mechanical

925will

Loc.
Sparks, Nevada
Try running the truck without the hood to make sure the air has a way of leaving the engine compartment. It may seem silly but make sure everything is turning the right direction.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
lets see condensor, tranny cooler, and radiator means bad air flow through the radiator. Even with the ridgid fan I doubt your getting enough airflow threw all that. I'm not sure what size the tanks are on the ron davis radiator but you might want to check to see if there's any differance. might want to get a radiator with bigger tanks if possible. Also I'd get rid of the radiator tranny cooler you get a lot of heat from the tranny and since you have a external cooler you might want to look at getting a BC tripple pass radiator. Remount the tranny cooler somewere else with its own fan would also help.