• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cordless impact wrench

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I thought I read about this not long ago but my search came up empty. I'm considering a cordless impact wrench. Seems like every time I need the impact, its late at night and I don't want to wake the kids and neighbors by cranking up the compressor. So, are cordless impacts worth having? In other words, are they as good as air impacts..or at least close? Finally, what are good options? Dewalt? Craftsman?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i have an 18v dewalt and i love it! there's times it won't break free an over-torqued bolt, but for the most part it's saved my back. it's rated at max 300 ft lbs.

jsnouffer

Contributor
I can't compare to an air impact but will say that I have found mine to be a necessary tool while working on the Bronco. I have a DeWalt and it has worked well.

mritchy1

We use the Dewalts at work and they work good .I barrowed one to go get some wheels off of another bronco and it did the job.

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
I started a thread about the same thing a couple months ago. I think i am going to go with the 18v dewalt myself.

Have you considered a plug in electric? We have a dewalt one and it rocks.

BIGED

Guru ????
I have the18v dewalt for the wheeling trips and it works great

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
i have 2 snap-on's. i bought the the first year made 1/2" drive 18 volt and loved it and just a few months ago bought the newer one that came on my snap-on truck that was a repo for $100. the new one is even better has a magnesium nose and more torque. gotta say snap-on has got he sh-t right on this tool for sure. worth it's weight in gold. give you a example of it's power. i can break dwon a entire big block chevy engine from carb to pan with one battery. and thats removing the heads and crank.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
My cordless impact is brass with a hickory handle and weighs 4 lbs.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I started a thread about the same thing a couple months ago. I think i am going to go with the 18v dewalt myself.

Have you considered a plug in electric? We have a dewalt one and it rocks.

I'm sure thats the thread I was looking for couldn't find it again. Gotta figure out what I want before the tax refund comes in!

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
do yourself a favor if you get the dewalt. look online, find the lowest price. i think i found one online for $259 (instead of $299), go to home depot and they'll beat that price by a few percent.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
do yourself a favor if you get the dewalt. look online, find the lowest price. i think i found one online for $259 (instead of $299), go to home depot and they'll beat that price by a few percent.

Nice, I know they will beat local prices like Lowes or Ace. Never knew they matched internet prices.

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
I work part time at a local garage and he has all snap-on battery impacts. 14 volt for the 3/8" stuff and 18 volt for the 1/2" stuff...I have to say it's all about the battery technology...DeWalt is good, but after 20 lugnuts, you feel the difference. After a day of changing tires, struts, brakes, and such, the snap-on stuff just keeps on kicking ass and taking names...

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I have an 18 volt Li-ion Milwaukee 1/2 inch. It comparable to medium duty air impact. No hose is nice but it is heavy. It's very handy when you don't want to drag out a hose for a quick job.
Cordless impacts are not quiet so you would still be waking up the kids. ;)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was just flipping through a magazine at a co-workers desk (recent car craft?) that had a cordless impact shootout that compared several different makes.

BroncoBernie

Snap on

I have a snap-on 1/2 impact at work, 18 volt 620 ft/lbs of Brake away torque amazing impact. was on sale for around 300 bucks two batt and charger.

darkmagus

I have an Ingersoll 3/8 and 1/4 cordless that I use all day everyday and I love them. I will probably end up getting a 1/2 at some point as well as a drill. I like that I can use the same charger for different volt batteries. I have coworkers that have Makita and DeWalt impacts too and they all seem to last for years with daily abuse.

ingersoll.JPG

JKH67302

Contributor
I'll Second the Snap on coordless impact driver. My dad brought his over when we tore down my 302 for rebuild. He left it there and I used it off and on, then re-assembled the motor. One battery. Amazing torque. He uses it on heavy equipment and it has never failed. This is definitely a time I would buy Snap on over other big names.

myclsic69

Craftsman 20 volt Lith. Battery 1/2 drive best thing since sliced bread for the money.