• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Core support wiring routing?

HAZZARD66

Does anyone have pictures or description of the harness routing on the core support.
I’m assuming it goes under the radiator in the cavity of the lower brace.
My 66 had a smashed and rotted core support and no wiring so it’s hard to tell. I’m using a universal harness so I guess it’s not super important to get it right, but would like to keep it out of the way of anything later on.

Thanks
Matt

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
13 or 14 early Broncos and I have never had one that had wires routed across the core.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correct. Other cars and trucks do that, but Broncos did not.
The two headlights and turn signals each are fed from their own branch of the harness feeding out of the firewall either on each side or middle (depending upon the year) of the engine compartment.
No wires cross over.

If you do some custom wiring however the lower channel is the perfect spot except you will likely have to drill some access holes for wires to enter and exit.

OP
OP
H

HAZZARD66

Thanks, the Mustangs I have done always had the headlight wiring go across the core support so I just assumed the same in the Bronco.

Since it’s not stock anyway I may just try to run it in the lower part of the core support to cut down on the amount of wiring under the hood.

Thanks for the help, without anything to reference from the tare down makes it tougher.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Definitely does. And Broncos are unlike many other vehicles in some aspects anyway, so add even more confusion.
The wires that I have ended up running through the channel were always headlight wires from relay setups.
Always worked out great and I like keeping extra wires out of sight.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I think you might be mistaken, because I think this is from Ford.

(click this text)

I'm sure this is from the Ford parts manual:

(click this text)

And I remember seeing those YY-2 harness retainers on several eBs.
That is correct - the 6 cylinder trucks had the wiring going across like that between the core support and the radiator. I don't know if it was like that on later year trucks or not but it was on the early ones.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Does anyone have pictures or description of the harness routing on the core support.
I’m assuming it goes under the radiator in the cavity of the lower brace.
My 66 had a smashed and rotted core support and no wiring so it’s hard to tell. I’m using a universal harness so I guess it’s not super important to get it right, but would like to keep it out of the way of anything later on.

Thanks
Matt
That's how I have my aftermarket headlight wiring routed. It's in a loom and I have it zip-tied at a few spots. Very clean. Unfortunately I don't have any pics. I probably take my radiator in and out more frequently than 98% of EB owners and I never have a problem with it.

Todd Z.

jnirenstein

Contributor
My very original (at least I believe it to be!) 66 with a 6cyl did have the harness cross over the core. Here is a photo. In fact the new harness I bought from Dennis Carpenter is wired the same way with the split in the harness happening in the corner above the voltage regulator then heading across to the passenger side headlight. All the clips in my core support holding the harness appear to be original.

Attachments

• IMG_7375.jpg
    IMG_7375.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 46

Wes harden

My left front core support with a some of the loom and head light connection 1969 302
full

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think you might be mistaken…
It could happen!😉😎

I’m often forgetting to include six-cylinder Broncos in my can-o-worms memory bank.
Someday I may remember to take that into account, but apparently not today.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
That's how I have my aftermarket headlight wiring routed. It's in a loom and I have it zip-tied at a few spots. Very clean. Unfortunately I don't have any pics. I probably take my radiator in and out more frequently than 98% of EB owners and I never have a problem with it.

Todd Z.
Kinda like this Todd? ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20220520_160251701_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220520_160251701_HDR.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 45

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What are the clips of which you all speak?
My 71 only has the hood rod retainer and no wiring. My friend’s 77 has the same. No wiring.

Interesting that the six cylinder voltage regulator is on the driver side too. Something I had either forgotten, or never noted when taking a peek under the hood of a six cylinder bronco.
Some important differences.

What about firewall and rear corner wiring? Do six cylinder Broncos have different wiring orientations at the firewall?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
My 71 only has the hood rod retainer and no wiring. My friend’s 77 has the same. No wiring.

Interesting that the six cylinder voltage regulator is on the driver side too. Something I had either forgotten, or never noted when taking a peek under the hood of a six cylinder bronco.
Some important differences.

What about firewall and rear corner wiring? Do six cylinder Broncos have different wiring orientations at the firewall?
Yup, my 1966 Budd roadster, the voltage regulator is on the driver's side core support. Headlights powered across the radiator.

OP
OP
H

HAZZARD66

Well I did a mock up of the routing and since its not stock by any means I routed it the cleanest and safest way I could find.

I have the harness coming out of the firewall at the left inner fender running at the top under the lip of the inner fender. When it gets to the core support it drops down to the openings for the headlights and parking lights then drops down again and runs inside of the lower brace of the core support behind the radiator. I drilled a 3/4 hole on the right side and used a grommet to protect the wiring as it exits the core support and goes up to the lights on the right.

I still have to do the protective sleeve on the harness but this is the mock up. I realize it was kind of tight making the turn at the steering box and fixed it after the pictures.

Attachments

• CF67B3C5-3781-40F0-ADAD-6AC2F8F05E43.jpeg
    CF67B3C5-3781-40F0-ADAD-6AC2F8F05E43.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 25
  • CB2F60C7-ABB5-4D04-8E4A-76FA6D34241E.jpeg
    CB2F60C7-ABB5-4D04-8E4A-76FA6D34241E.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 26
  • D257DA7B-6F9F-4682-BE19-923C8A4E776E.jpeg
    D257DA7B-6F9F-4682-BE19-923C8A4E776E.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 13F8FBB7-3DCC-4720-92E8-E2408D5D168B.jpeg
    13F8FBB7-3DCC-4720-92E8-E2408D5D168B.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 25

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
This is the best forum site around...period! Never knew that about the I6 wire routing. I love learning new stuff and not being ridiculed. It really is the best site around for early Broncos. Best site of anything really!

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
They're labelled with a long PN, and then "YY-2" in parentheses on the 2nd diagram I posted. Wes' pic shows a few, and I think I can see a couple in J's pic above that. But Hazzard's show modern zip-ties, and 904's (Doug's?) shows modern steel clips with rubber liners screwed on.