• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Correct PCV hook-up location?

ft bronc

Loc.
Greater Cincinnati
I have a stock '73 w/ 302. The pcv valve, mounted at the top rear of the pass side valve cover, is currenlty hooked up to the factory air cleaner with what appears to be a factory hose. Everything looks like it came that way.

Is this correct? All my mustangs had the PCV valve connected to full vacuum at the back of the carb spacer plate. Currently, its not sucking up enough of the blow-by sb fords are famous for.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The hose going to the air cleaner should not have a PCV valve in it. It is there to allow fresh filtered air into the crankcase as the PCV valve sucks the bad air out. The PCV valve will be on the driver's side mounted into the oil filler cap. The hose from the PCV valve goes to the intake manifold or base of carb.

OP
OP
F

ft bronc

Loc.
Greater Cincinnati
The hose going to the air cleaner should not have a PCV valve in it. It is there to allow fresh filtered air into the crankcase as the PCV valve sucks the bad air out. The PCV valve will be on the driver's side mounted into the oil filler cap. The hose from the PCV valve goes to the intake manifold or base of carb.

Awesome, thanks!

hdfx81

Does it make a difference if you run the pcv from the manifold to the rear of the passenger side and the vent from the front driver side to the air cleaner?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Does it make a difference if you run the pcv from the manifold to the rear of the passenger side and the vent from the front driver side to the air cleaner?

No difference. Just need to let the vacuum and pcv valve suck air out and fresh air in. I wouldn't put them both on the same side though.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I don't think it matters which side the PVC is on as long as fresh air can be pulled in on the opposite side. Also make sure that that there is a baffle below the PVC so you don't end up sucking up oil and burning it in the engine. My PVC is in the rear of the Passanger side Valve cover going to the back of the Holley carb and fresh air is pulled in on the front side on the Drivers side.