• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cost of Duff's vs. WH's 1.5" rear leaf springs

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Duff's (bottom pic) is more than double that of WH (top pic). At first I thought it was an error on Duff's webpage. Is there a significant difference in the springs other than Duff's seems to have a reverse spring eye?

1722955257814.png
1722955289553.png

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
Duff's (bottom pic) is more than double that of WH (top pic). At first I thought it was an error on Duff's webpage. Is there a significant difference in the springs other than Duff's seems to have a reverse spring eye?

View attachment 929277
View attachment 929278
Yeah, you need to call them. $1k for a set of springs is not competitive. I'm guessing that the web utility is broken.

Tom's has new leaf springs with bushings for $295. You can adjust your lift with perches / block / wedge.

Keep in mind that any new leaf spring is going to raise your bronco higher than any 50 year old sagging spring. So measure from axle to frame to establish your desired ride height.

Contributor
While Toms doesn’t have a 1.5” they do have a 2.5” that is even cheaper at $400 with bushings and u bolts. The differences probably come down to being made in the USA or overseas. Also the quality of the steel I’m sure makes a difference.

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
While Toms doesn’t have a 1.5” they do have a 2.5” that is even cheaper at $400 with bushings and u bolts. The differences probably come down to being made in the USA or overseas. Also the quality of the steel I’m sure makes a difference.
I'm in the process of a frame off and have a set of Tom's 2.5" springs and Rancho rs9000's I bought 10 years ago that I had planned on using. I just watched Monster Mike and his Project Huck episodes and was thinking I might like the 1.5" better since I'm planning on a 1" body lift.....that is until I saw the price! 🤯. Might Just keep what I have.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I think the cost delta is due to USA-made vs. overseas-made.
I think that's the difference. Duff uses USA-made Deavers and most of the rest are made overseas.

Todd Z.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
From the page....
I don't know what comes with the "bundle" but it shows the 1.5" springs (bottom right) for 549.95.
I can only assume that there is a bundle of parts that go with the springs to get a deal and the 549 price is for springs only. Confusing advertising that they should address.

1722984440333.png

eb-nutt1

Bronco Graveyard sells Deaver springs frt/rear, all the bronco vendors used to sell American made springs...Duffs has always been higher on their parts for some reason, and got worse when they moved to TN.

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
I think the cost delta is due to USA-made vs. overseas-made.

I think that's the difference. Duff uses USA-made Deavers and most of the rest are made overseas.

Todd Z.
The last cheap set I got from Tom's was made in India with a 10mm metric center pin. They fit fine, and they worked fine.

I assume that they were made in India because they had a giant painted stencil that said: "Made in India."

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The last cheap set I got from Tom's was made in India with a 10mm metric center pin. They fit fine, and they worked fine.

I assume that they were made in India because they had a giant painted stencil that said: "Made in India."
Yes, I saw the same when I visited there back in 2010.

Todd Z.
WH Springs are made in the USA, right here in CA.
That's good to know! I knew they used to be but didn't know if they still were or not.

Todd Z.

1969miller

Contributor
Loc.
Elk Grove
@1969miller
Any idea what the 1.5" System 3 freight would be to 27712 in Durham, NC? The WH site shows shipping can't be calculated .
View attachment 929384
About $260, I added an adjustable track bar to the quote in case you needed it. Without it on there, it did not not change the cost more than a few dollars. I quoted this to 27703 since I do not know your exact shipping address.

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
About $260, I added an adjustable track bar to the quote in case you needed it. Without it on there, it did not not change the cost more than a few dollars. I quoted this to 27703 since I do not know your exact shipping address.
Thanks for that

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And though I haven’t done a truck freight quote in awhile, and a half, this information should still apply.
It’s almost always less expensive to ship to a commercial address where it’s easy in and out for trucks.
That, or if you’re near enough to the actual depot, you can sometimes pick it up there.
This usually saves what ends up being at least a slightly higher cost for residential delivery. Typically $50-$75 before Covid, but not sure about nowadays.