• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cracked frame...

ugly_od_eb

Loc.
Moyock, NC
Is it common to have PS box cracks on the inside of the frame? Because upon further inspection it looks like its been re/welded before..... i got some 1/8" plate laying around that i could beef the frame up with but i need a little more imput on how to gusset this area effectively...

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Is it common to have PS box cracks on the inside of the frame? Because upon further inspection it looks like its been re/welded before..... i got some 1/8" plate laying around that i could beef the frame up with but i need a little more imput on how to gusset this area effectively...

Yes, there is alot of torque and one heck of a pressure point on that crossmember.

You need something thicker than 1/8. I would use 1/4". When mine tore open, I plated the whole frame around where the PS box mounts. I plated the frame over onto the crossmember on the inside of the frame. Make sure you fishmouth the plates when welding on the frame, and I would also open some holes and do some plug welds. All of those things will spread the load out, taking it away from a single weld.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Re-weld it to make it solid, grind it back down smoothe, then plate it with 3/16 or 1/4 plate...the bigger-longer the better. BCB sells a kit that is reasonable, as well. I plated the outer frame-rail (3/8") and the inner (engine) side (1/4") (it was part of my frame horn reinforcement on the inner side); I took the inside back far enough so that I was able to have the PS box front bolt through both reinforcements. On the rear two bolts, I used large washers. I didnt modify my internal frame supports as they seemed good...but if yours has been messed with already, the BCB kit comes with tube supports to brace across the inside of the frame. Good luck.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I used 3/16" plate and went around the frame on all 4 sides. It also moved the steering box away from the radiator by 3/16".

OP
OP
ugly_od_eb

ugly_od_eb

Loc.
Moyock, NC
Well after doing a clean up on the area and inspecting... it looks like the PO tried to fix this problem and failed, I notice that there is a crack from the engine cross member to about 3in toward the rad in the lower OEM seam, and im not sure whats behind this plate and i dont like it, I plan on triangulating it between the engine crossmember and the frame and redo the plate on the inside, It should be plenty strong after that... i hope there isnt a huge hole behind that plate. I also need a better welder then this weak ass flux core crap....%) (look for for pics tomarrow)