• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Crown Vic EFI question

va bronco

Loc.
Henry, VA 24102
A friend of mine has a 1990 Crown Vic. He swears that it has the MAF EFI in it. There's a website called Ford fuel injection that says the Crown Vic's had MAF and SDI(?) systems in the 90-91 year models. Does anyone actually know the spec's? The car my buddy has was a police car at one time. To me that means the engine will have a lot of miles on it.

6daze

All the EFI stuff sitting in my garage is froma 91 Crown Vic. It is MAF, not SD. In fact, the upper and lower manifolds are for sale...

Mark

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
A regular 1990 Crown Vic 5.0 would be Speed Density rather than MAF. (That's what my original EFI was)

If it's a police version then it may be the 5.8 instead of the 5.0. If so then I would be interested in the lower (or complete) intake if your buying it for parts.

DCarter001

Loc.
Baxley, GA
Isn't it as simple as looking at the air intake? An SD EFI will not have a sensor in line with the air, but rather a throttle position sensor. The MAF will have a big MAF sensor in the air intake usually about 12 inches upstream on the throttle body.
You can also revisit the website you mentioned, fordfuelinjection.com and link over to their page that tells what each computer does. It lists year and model combinations for each EFI computer ford has made. I don't recall which link it is, so you'll have to tinker around with it a bid to find the right page.
Best of luck.
DC