• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Crown Vic Rear Disc Brake Conversion

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Basically its the same as the explorer rear disc conversion that is popular. The biggest differance is he was installing it on a 8in axle so there are some differances in the install. but otherwise most people do like it as the park brake works better than other setups.

OREO BANDIT

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
What I don't understand is why are the calipers on the opposite sides? Are the calipers on the opposite sides in stock Exploder or Crown Vic's? If they are, guess I have never noticed!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Explorers are to the rear and crown vic's are to the front I believe. It appears that some people mount them opposite for easier ebrake cable routing or clearance issues with other suspension parts. like I said there are some differances due to what axle is being used and what vehicle its going on.

OREO BANDIT

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Broncnaz, that explain's it, thanks for clearing that up! I didn't think I had too much to drink...yet! Are you originally from Thatcher? I ask because, I used to live in Safford.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Explorers are to the rear and crown vic's are to the front I believe. It appears that some people mount them opposite for easier ebrake cable routing or clearance issues with other suspension parts. like I said there are some differances due to what axle is being used and what vehicle its going on.

Nope Crown Vic's have one in front and one behind the axle. I think they might use the same bracket and just flop them side to side. Pretty sure this swap will only work on small bearing rears also.

OREO BANDIT

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
No kidding Steve, man I just don't remember this. I guess, I never rebuilt a Crown Vic axle. I was going to call you about this very issue, just not at 9:00 o'clock at night! Josh

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Thats cool I thought I had seen some crown vic's with both in the front though could be mistaken. The axle in the link is a 8in not a 9in but as you said basically a small bearing axle.

Oreo bandit yes I'm from basically orginally from Thatcher just moved back about 3years ago after being gone for 20. Small world sometimes.

OP
OP
F

fmcpeters

I pulled the parts at the u pull it the caliper brackets are the same, on the driver side its located on the rear and on the passenger side on the front. Another question hopefully somebody can help out with, what master cylinder should I use, chevy conversion on the front and crown vic on the rear. Thanks for any input.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wonder if anyone has just used an Explorer master cylinder? We just did a 4-wheel disc on a '71 and use the master from a '67 Corvette with manual brakes. Has a 1" bore, equal size reservoirs, is all steel (we didn't want plastic in this case), and almost exactly the same bolt spacing as Ford uses.
We did have to open up the holes slightly to fit the Bronco firewall, and used a small extension on the pedal rod, because the GM master's piston is set slightly deeper into the bore.
I'm sure there are more perfect bolt-on units you don't have to fiddle with, but this had all the specs we were looking for and works pretty well so far.

Paul

OP
OP
F

fmcpeters

I was thinking of using the corvette, but was also thinking of trying to use the one off the crown vic or explorer since they where 4 wheel disc. Will also be installing a hydroboost at the same time.

bearhole

What yr vic or explorer for the small bearing rear disk should a guy be lookin for. Thanks

Oatmeal

Nope Crown Vic's have one in front and one behind the axle. I think they might use the same bracket and just flop them side to side. Pretty sure this swap will only work on small bearing rears also.
Yeah that's just too weird!

When I was researching rear discs for my XJ's (Jeep:eek:) rear D44, I found out that the Crown Vic stuff was a total bolt on (other than a .23" spacer between the bearing and retainer plate) but, the one in front of and one in back of the axle stuff just bugged me!.....I really like symmetry.
Also, think about e-brake cable routing;)

I went with Explorer stuff a little more work to adapt to my Jeep but, well worth it.

If I'm not mistaken, the Explorer brackets are a bolt on to the large bearing meduim duty housings (Torino pattern ?:?).

You could just weld up the holes and redrill the pattern on the brackets (what I did) or do the axle housing flanges...not that hard.

Hans