• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cummins 4BT performance update...

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
Sorry may have missed this on an earlier thread but is there a build up on this somewhere? Something that will guide and point out problems. You have peaked my interest quite a bit and want some more info on the build.

Thanks Dan

hucklburry rev2

Thanks Ben, you know me, worked 12 today.

Maybe I was wrong to just post away like that, but I will get over it. I talked to 2 people this week who were having similar problems and I was not happy about hearing it to say the least. Bad trend.

But Miley called Steve and worked what was probably just a communications issue out.

So lets hear more about the diesel.

--Jim

OP
OP
H

Heinz_67

hucklburry rev2 said:
Thanks Ben, you know me, worked 12 today.

Maybe I was wrong to just post away like that, but I will get over it. I talked to 2 people this week who were having similar problems and I was not happy about hearing it to say the least. Bad trend.

But Miley called Steve and worked what was probably just a communications issue out.

So lets hear more about the diesel.

--Jim

Nice attempt at an apology without actually saying it!

Fact is you were wrong. I paid Steve for my rebuild parts before they ever arrived at my doorstep. And yes I called him because he is the only person who fit the profile you were describing. When I confronted him and asked what the hell was going on he explained YOUR miscommunication. I was on the lookout for him a core engine block but he has/had already located one.

I'm sure you're a good guy and I can appreciate you looking out for your friends. But... I'm not that bad of a guy either and I really did not appreciate you accusations on a public forum. If it must be known, I'm currently helping him (Steve) locate the correct exhaust manifold and 9 cm turbo for his project.

Sorry to air the laundry with the rest of the group, but this struck a nerve with me. Most of you who have had worked on projects and wheeled with me know I try to give way more than I take and never turn help down to a friend. I'm posting this rebuttal/response to further clear the air because I was unsatisfied with Hucklburry's attempt at an apology.

Jim

OP
OP
H

Heinz_67

Frankenhorse said:
Thank you.

Now whats the noise like. I have a 05' PSD F250 is it compareable or louder. I believe I know the answer but, can I stand by it and talk.

Not bad... not good... ;D

It is louder than a gasser obviously, but it's not obnoxious (sp?). I still have to make a tunnel cover for the NV4500, put the heater back in (huge gaping air inlet in the passenger kick panel), weld up the old holes from the EFI harness of the 5.0, and hurculine the tub. With that said, it is louder than I like, but for a temporary bandaid to the problem I took a rubber bedliner and cut it to fit over the tunnel and cover the front floorboards and up the firewall. I also duct taped the air inlet hole from the missing heater. Just doing that was a HUGE improvement. It is no louder than a Dodge 12v in the cab with that done.

I'm still trying to debate if I should go with a thick spray liner or herculine it. I'm sure the spray liner will sound proof it more, but I'm always changing stuff and I like being able to do the herculiner myself. I figure I can always herculine the tube and then put the rubber bed liner down in the front to add a little more sound insulation.

Do any of you guys have experience with Herculiner? Does it quiet things down at all?

Jim

OP
OP
H

Heinz_67

Madgyver said:
Would a 6BT fit? I found one local in a Bluebird bus..

I don't think so. I think you would have to do some serious firewall mods to squeeze that sucker in. It's a heavy pig too!

But don't listen to me. Do you know how many people told me I couldn't put a 4BT in my Bronco? ;D

Best place to find a 4BT is in a stepvan. Frito, Rainbo bread, Dolly Madison, some FedEx vans, etc...

Try Dovebid.com and look for transportation exchange. Frito lay is getting rid of the 17' vans (not sure on the length) and going to bigger vans. As a result they are selling their entire fleet on Dovebid. The average price is $1500 per unit.

Jim

Jim

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
hucklburry rev2 said:
I wasn't apologizing or attempting to. But if Steve's satisfied then I'm glad you guys talked.

GEEZ-OH-PETE Dude!!!!! take your problems somewhere else!! everyone here is MORE THAN INTERESTED in Heinz's PROJECT NOT on whether there were dealings that went sour or not!!!!! (not to mention that he's already explained more than necessary on what you may be alluding to)

Jon- I propose you ban this guy out from CB's (even though i don't know Heinz this still pisses me off as this Huck-dude's hijack posts come across as a direct attack on Heinz) No need for any of that here!!

Heinz: where are these 1.5k trucks again? been lurking for a 4BT for a while now...your project's great inspiration....

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
Do you have a ball park of the total cost of just the engine? I know how much I can get an engine for I have located 4 already and I am on vacation in CA. I was wondering about the things you added like turbo, exhaust manifold,..etc. I am trying to decide on doing the 393/408w or puting that aside for something else and doing the 4bt thing.

Thanks Dan

IMO this is more interesting then trying to put the 5.4L in.:cool:

Hey I see Izuzu has a little (relativly) oil burner also. See you got me thinking.%) ;D

OP
OP
H

Heinz_67

Try looking here:

http://www.dovebid.com

Then go to transportation exchange #9 and click on the lot catalog. I just saw 10 or 20 with 4BT's in there.

I wish I could find a good source on the Isuzu NPR! The engine weighs less, generates more power, and is substantially quieter. I'm just not sure of parts availability or tranny adaptions. At least with the 4BT I can walk into any NAPA and just ask for a Dodge 6BT part (for most of the parts... not all).

Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Heinz_67

Yeah!!!

That freeking rocks!

udv1.jpg

No more driveshaft angles to deal with, hell, no more driveshafts. At only $7000 per system, that is really not too far out of reach. Mounting the tanks might suck though.

Jim

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Heinz_67 said:
That freeking rocks!

udv1.jpg

No more driveshaft angles to deal with, hell, no more driveshafts. At only $7000 per system, that is really not too far out of reach. Mounting the tanks might suck though.

Jim
With no more driveshaft, there should be ample room to mount the tanks. You could even rotate the rear axle upward and have less issue with hangups.
I have often wondered about using hydraulics when ever I have been behind a grass truck with those funny fork lifts on the back. Just don't know anything about the system. I guess if you went that far it might be worth hydro hubs and not having an axle at all. Just think of the articulation possibilities that would create. Not to mention traction control made easy with 4 independant drive hubs

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
has anyone reading this thread bought one of these trucks? if so, how did you dispose of the truck after extracting the engine? recuperate/offset some of the cost? what else is salvageable off these trucks? (i'm thinking hydroboost)....

OP
OP
H

Heinz_67

El Jefe said:
has anyone reading this thread bought one of these trucks? if so, how did you dispose of the truck after extracting the engine? recuperate/offset some of the cost? what else is salvageable off these trucks? (i'm thinking hydroboost)....

Dispose of????? WAIT!

There is about $1300 worth of aluminum. Take it down to your local metal recycler and bank! Then sell the TH400 w/cast pan for $250 and bolt the hydroboost that comes on them to your EB! Like the Native Americans man, nothing goes to waste!

Jim

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Heinz_67 said:
Not bad... not good... ;D

I'm still trying to debate if I should go with a thick spray liner or herculine it. I'm sure the spray liner will sound proof it more, but I'm always changing stuff and I like being able to do the herculiner myself. I figure I can always herculine the tube and then put the rubber bed liner down in the front to add a little more sound insulation.

Do any of you guys have experience with Herculiner? Does it quiet things down at all?

Jim
Jim I have to Buddies that I have worked with for 25 years that Both put 453 Detroits in their 77 F250s ( YOU WANNA talk noisey?) the both Put sheets of Lead all inside the CAb, It helped a lot. The one That is married tells me his wife loves it and they can haul a cord of Fir out of the woods with out effort

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
broncow72 said:
accord of fur?????? is that a new honda or something?

We need a smilie that's holding his nose for that one...%)