• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cummins 4BT performance update...

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
mlogan24 said:
Jim,

I'm curious to learn more about the intercooler. I was looking at Summit's site and the custom Spearco's are $770 (the retail pricing on their website seems to be in that range)! I was wondering if you could give a little insight on if you bought new or found a used one that worked. If you have any dimensions or pics of how you currently have it mounted that would be cool to.

I'm considering the 4BT swap (and trying to figure what kind of a budget I'll need), and know its a pricey proposition-but $770 for an aluminum radiator?! If that's what I have to buy, then that's that, but I can't help but think there's a more economic solution out there.

Jim,

I wanted to bring my question back around ( I think it got missed cause it was posted right before that one dude posted his complaint about you). But I also wanted to ask you something that I thought about as I was filling up my TDI today. The low sulfer fuel-what have you heard about if there will be any problems with this fuel in the 4BT? I've heard that the new low sulfer fuel won't present lubricity problems as steps were taken to preven that, but I always wonder when I read that ominous sticker-"Not for use in vehicles prior to 2007." Isn't that great-no false concern for anyone cause we're all driving '07 trucks ;D

OP
OP
H

Heinz_67

mlogan24 said:
Jim,

I wanted to bring my question back around ( I think it got missed cause it was posted right before that one dude posted his complaint about you). But I also wanted to ask you something that I thought about as I was filling up my TDI today. The low sulfer fuel-what have you heard about if there will be any problems with this fuel in the 4BT? I've heard that the new low sulfer fuel won't present lubricity problems as steps were taken to preven that, but I always wonder when I read that ominous sticker-"Not for use in vehicles prior to 2007." Isn't that great-no false concern for anyone cause we're all driving '07 trucks ;D

Hey, sorry 'bout missing your post. That fawktard (political correct term for butthole) threw me off a little...

I got my intercooler through the recomendation of one of my buddies that runs a Dodge Neon SRT/turbo. He pointed me in the direction of an EBAY story that sells Spearco cored fully tigged intercoolers for right at $300! As for the radiator, I got that on EBAY too. I found an Ebay store that sold Northern radiators for an awesome price (Less than $200). You want a brand like Northern because the are fully welded and do not use epoxy to seal the radiator. If you get an epoxy sealed radiator, you cannot weld any brackets on to it or you will melt the epoxy. Here is a link to a good place with Northern radiators and excellent prices without having to go through ebay: http://www.4secondsflat.com/Radiatorsmain.html

I'm not too sure about the low sulphur diesel. I'll have to research that one. I'm sure the boys down at Rocky Mountain Cummins will have the answer to that. Worse case scenario, I'll just start running french fry oil! ;D

Jim

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
SO I will be the one to ask. Do you have any video of this beast running yet? I know I would love to see it. ;D ;D

OP
OP
H

Heinz_67

bigpappa said:
SO I will be the one to ask. Do you have any video of this beast running yet? I know I would love to see it. ;D ;D

No. I took our digital video camera to my class so I could video tape the kids in a play. One of the parents decided to slip out of the play and go steal sh!t from all the classrooms and mezanine. Laptops, purses, CAMERAS... you name it. And we wonder what is wrong with kids today.

Done ranting.

Jim

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
Heinz_67 said:
No. I took our digital video camera to my class so I could video tape the kids in a play. One of the parents decided to slip out of the play and go steal sh!t from all the classrooms and mezanine. Laptops, purses, CAMERAS... you name it. And we wonder what is wrong with kids today.

Done ranting.

Jim

That fawktard...That is now my new word for the month;D

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
mlogan24 said:
Jim,
But I also wanted to ask you something that I thought about as I was filling up my TDI today. The low sulfer fuel-what have you heard about if there will be any problems with this fuel in the 4BT? I've heard that the new low sulfer fuel won't present lubricity problems as steps were taken to preven that, but I always wonder when I read that ominous sticker-"Not for use in vehicles prior to 2007." Isn't that great-no false concern for anyone cause we're all driving '07 trucks ;D

You've heard right. Just make sure the LSD or ULSD is certified to have the lubrication additives that replace the presence of Sulphur otherwise. If you have access to the SAE library let me refer you to the following paper:

SAE-961943 (or Google it)

As for the use of LSD on pre -07 motors i would like to think there are additives to overcome that hurdle- just don't know of any that i can cite. I'll do some digging and come back here if i find out anything...

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Jim-thanks for the info-sounds like it doesn't need to be a budget buster. Now I just need to find that perfect deal on a 4BT-oh yeah, and a house to have room for working on my rig again;D

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
Just a quick heads up for those in the NW, I have my 4BT up and operational also and I will be at SOB 10. For those who have questions about it, I can answer them locally at SOB. I am still connecting a few brake lines and steering lines, so the driving time has not been much. The performance is pretty cool for just cruising the block without brakes.

OP
OP
H

Heinz_67

(swa0330) Scott, you up and running on a daily basis yet or still working out the bugs and just cruising the block? I'd love to check it out when you get it running. I'm still curious if my idea for the turbo and manifold will be as efficient as predicted. I'm loving the way it turned out design-wise. What are your real world boost and pyro numbers? I average around 5-10 and peak 24 when I'm trying to snap more U-joints. The highest i've hit on the pyro is 1050 and that was climbing Eisenhower (but I didn't have to down shift !!!!).

Still waiting on pics of how you did you clutch linkage as opposed to my factory approach.

Jim

Last edited:

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
Yeah, this week I am finishing all interior work so that I can get my steering fixed next week. This whole thing is getting irritating. I will snap photos soon.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Scott, let me know if you need a hand for anything tomorrow, I've got some kid-free time. ;) Gimme a call.

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
Heinz_67 said:
(swa0330) Scott, you up and running on a daily basis yet or still working out the bugs and just cruising the block? I'd love to check it out when you get it running. I'm still curious if my idea for the turbo and manifold will be as efficient as predicted. I'm loving the way it turned out design-wise. What are your real world boost and pyro numbers? I average around 5-10 and peak 24 when I'm trying to snap more U-joints. The highest i've hit on the pyro is 1050 and that was climbing Eisenhower (but I didn't have to down shift !!!!).

Still waiting on pics of how you did you clutch linkage as opposed to my factory approach.

Jim

Have some time to type now. Anyway, just took a few very small runs around the block in Boulder with no brakes or steering. Got the boost to register about 7-8, but I was nearing the driveway, so without brakes I couldn't test much more. I think I f.ed the steering pump up trying to put the gear on last time. West Texas Offroad seems to think that the mechanism that gives pressure is cracked based on a phone conversation. They said you will still get flow, but no pressure. Next time, I am going to slowly press that gear on. The 15 min in the oven at 350 didn't help on mine. I even tried to be careful using a rubber mallet. Pump must be shot. Going to fix all that next week. I also am going to switch back to a single return pump becuase the second return outlet is so dam close to the motor mount. I will be back on the 23rd. We'll BS about things then if you want. For this week, I am just wrapping up loose ends that will catch me if I am not careful. Getting a windshield put in tomorrow and installing the hardtop carefully friday and sealing the doors. Recovering the fiero seats was the best move ever. They feel even better than the seats in my Dodge. I have tried to save pennies where I could, but when it came to driving comfort for long trips I was unwilling to compromise.