• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel swap

Digger556

If I recall correctly there was a lot of customization for transmission, cad drawings and a lot of additional complexities. It's nothing negative about the install, I would just like to see what would be a simple straight forward install without spending years building, computer drawing and milling parts. In short is there a way to use bolt in parts with little body or frame mods.

Totally fair. I've seen some base-level installs in other rigs. Repowerowners.com is a forum for Cummins-swap stuff. Mostly R2.8 things. The problem with the R2.8 in a Bronco, there are no parts for it. There are almost no major players in R2.8 accessories, as the program is still new. Axis Industries is probably the biggest and they are heavily Jeep focused. You will not find after market engine mounts, intercoolers or air boxes for a R2.8 in a Bronco. There are transmission adapters, but none that bolt to a Windsor-block Ford pattern, so you will need to source another transmission and then adapters to mate that to a D20.

There are shortcuts that could be taken. A custom intercooler could fit better, a simple cone filter would be easier. My build has been highly focus on proper engineering, meeting or exceeding Cummins required specs and using OEM parts for wear items or easily damaged items.

For example. I could have bolted the ZF5 to the Cummins easier by modifying the Cummins flywheel and running a custom clutch setup, mixing and matching pressure plates and friction discs and run a custom throw out bearing. But after putting extra effort into the design and manufacture of the adapter. Now stock Ford clutches and flywheels can be source as replacement parts, while the adapter itself will never need replacement.