• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Custom Bikini Top (or any other options for shade)

rbwamsley

Well, its that time of year again... I live in the Houston and shade while driving around in the summer is a must. However, I cannot stand the noise my bikini top makes on the the freeway. It flaps like crazy no matter how tight I get it. I'm looking for ideas. Pictures are a plus!

Thanks,
Blake

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I'm in need of one myself, after installing my family cage. Use to be some on Ebay but I didn't have any luck finding on the other day. I think I may take my old bikini top and have a shop add on to it.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I got a quote for two pieces of 1/8" aluminum sheets cut to fit the two large openings at the top of my roll cage for $150. I am planning to weld in small tabs on the corners to screw them to.

Here is a pic of another bronco I borrowed the idea from.

I was also tired of the noise and one bikini top I had was destroyed after 2 years of usage.

Attachments

• f5634624.jpg
    f5634624.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 444
  • f5623104.jpg
    f5623104.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 352

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I got a quote for two pieces of 1/8" aluminum sheets cut to fit the two large openings at the top of my roll cage for $150. I am planning to weld in small tabs on the corners to screw them to.

Seeing that a lot these days, will be my plan as well.

Burnie, used a full top and cut to use the top piece only and cut it to fit.

Good luck man

Toddpole

Contributor
I ran a Bestop bikini top for several years in the Texas sun. Slow wheeling it held the heat in and was still uncomfortable. I installed a Wildhorses Breezer top and the temp in the front seats dropped 10-15 degrees. It has plenty of shade but lets air flow thru. It doesn't flap in the wind like a vinyl top. I haul it 500 miles at 75 mph on a trailer with the top on and it has never had a tear in more than 5 years.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I like the idea of the breeze / mesh material but imagine it still whips in the wind a bit ?

I bet a person could get use some version of perforated aluminum or steel sheeting.

I'm just about to install a protofab cage and think I will add mounting tabs for the sheeting.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I bought the Best top bracket and some Herculite fabric in white color. Plan to make my own custom bikini top. I am installing the four point cage and am thinking I might install snaps at each corner of the cage thinking snapping the top onto the cage might stop the flapping. Same snaps used on boat tops. Will report back results.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I bought the Best top bracket and some Herculite fabric in white color. Plan to make my own custom bikini top. I am installing the four point cage and am thinking I might install snaps at each corner of the cage thinking snapping the top onto the cage might stop the flapping. Same snaps used on boat tops. Will report back results.

I was thinking snaps on the back of the roll cage too, or making the top loop around and install some type of bungee cord throw gourmets.

Tom's Bronco has this one, $99.00 and free shipping doesn't seem to bad. That's if you already have the mounting hardware.

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/bikini-skin-for-family-bar-black-wo-hardware-66-77-early-ford-bronco-new

OP
OP
R

rbwamsley

I was thinking snaps on the back of the roll cage too, or making the top loop around and install some type of bungee cord throw gourmets.

Tom's Bronco has this one, $99.00 and free shipping doesn't seem to bad. That's if you already have the mounting hardware.

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/bikini-skin-for-family-bar-black-wo-hardware-66-77-early-ford-bronco-new

Lol. This is the one that I have. It seems to be best universal fit bikini top. I want more options! ;D

OP
OP
R

rbwamsley

Just drive on the 610. Most of the time you won't get going fast enough for it to flap😀

Lol. I think someone should serve beer at the beginning of 610W loop. You only get up to 5 mph and then by the time you get to the end its been a hour.

OP
OP
R

rbwamsley

Here is a pic of another bronco I borrowed the idea from.

I was also tired of the noise and one bikini top I had was destroyed after 2 years of usage.

Love this idea. Problem is my cage is already powder coated.

OP
OP
R

rbwamsley

Another option. Cut a hard top. This seems expensive thought...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

utasazap.jpg

attachment.php

download.php

5ydu8umy.jpg

Last edited:

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I hate the noise on my bikini too and usually run topless but really need the shade to keep cool. I just found this company last week spiderweb shade...looks like mostly made for jeeps but said they will gladly customize for other vehicles and even saw one they made for a Scout 800, so I know they will do a Bronco. Check it out here.

https://www.spiderwebshade.com/

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Dusty,
What thickness of Aluminum panel did you use and do you get any heat off of the panels coming down?
I was torn between using aluminum vs. plastic sheets but prefer the look of aluminum.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Dusty,
What thickness of Aluminum panel did you use and do you get any heat off of the panels coming down?
I was torn between using aluminum vs. plastic sheets but prefer the look of aluminum.

They're .090" thick. Not too thick, not too thin. I can stand or sit on them without bending them (I weigh 250 lbs). There are some photos and details in the link I provided, if you'd like to know more about how I mounted them.

As for heat, I've found they stay pretty cool even in the hot sun. First of all they're reflective, so they reflect more heat than they absorb. Second, aluminum is a great heat sink so they quickly dissipate any heat they collect. Even when wheeling in the hot sun I don't feel any heat radiating down on my head from them. I also left small gaps around the edges just to promote airflow.