• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cutting fenders - now the front post 26

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cutting my first fenders for a friends 77. They had been partially cut by a previous owner and I want to know if you thought this looked about right before cutting.

thanks for the input.

Attachments

• driver.jpg
    driver.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 228
  • passenger.jpg
    passenger.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Completely incorrect to me. The gap between the front of the tire and body is smaller than the gap between the rear of the tire and the body. The gaps should be even in my opinion.

This is more difficult to accomplish with the gas doors on the '77 though.

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Completely incorrect to me. The gap between the front of the tire and body is smaller than the gap between the rear of the tire and the body. The gaps should be even in my opinion.

This is more difficult to accomplish with the gas doors on the '77 though.

Yeah, I thought about that, but I do not see anyway to accomplish that. They are bushwackers from Jeffs. Like you stated, I think it is mainly due to the 77 gas doors being in different locations than the earlier ones.

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Hey Lane. With these bushwackers, you really need to notch the flare a little at the front gas door to allow you to center the flare a little more. Some of the older flares were a little smaller, but they were still hard to center on a '77.

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Lane. With these bushwackers, you really need to notch the flare a little at the front gas door to allow you to center the flare a little more. Some of the older flares were a little smaller, but they were still hard to center on a '77.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of that would you. The way it curves hard in the front, I am not sure what you are talking about.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Call me crazy but it looks good to me

He's talking about notching the outer lip of the flare by where the bead of the welting would be. You could trim it around the lower corner of the filler to move the flare forward a bit

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The tire is centered under the opening. If you make the gas caps equal distance from the flacre then the tire will not be centered in the opening, correct?

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
He's talking about notching the outer lip of the flare by where the bead of the welting would be. You could trim it around the lower corner of the filler to move the flare forward a bit

Gotcha, thanks. I will look at that tomorrow and post another picture.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I still think they look good as is. I try and keep them centered around the tire, not the wheel opening. This keeps the tire from hitting the flare in 1 spot (the rear of the flare) when the suspension is compressed.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
don't forget that as your leaf springs compress the tire moves back as well as up. this is assuming your not going negative arch on compression.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
bigcountry,what size tire are you running? The flares look good, where you have them. I have the old school flares in back, with 33 x12.50, and I still clear.

Attachments

• IMG_2799.jpg
    IMG_2799.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3303.jpg
    IMG_3303.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 68

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Draw a reference line from the middle of the rear axle straight up to the fender just make sure they are centered. And for a 77 I would make a small notch where the flare lays over the aux tank gas door
Take your time because you really can't go back

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of that would you. The way it curves hard in the front, I am not sure what you are talking about.

also the top of the flare needs to be parallel w. the body line. Dont arch or let it dip on the top !

Attachments

• 77lr.jpg
    77lr.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 77ls.jpg
    77ls.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 134
  • driver.jpg
    driver.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Centering over the wheel and keeping it parallel to the body was my two main objectives. I will move it forward a little to get it centered.

fordfan

Bronco Guru

Franko, has the picture, Lane. The blue one Franko posted looks like the Wildhorse flares that can be stretched and installed several different ways, but that is the idea. I wouldn't suggest notching the Bushwackers that much, but just a little. As others have already mentioned, you're not far off with it now; It looks pretty good.

If you have a 38" tire sitting there in the shop, stuff it under the fender and you can tell real quick it if is centered!

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bigcountry,what size tire are you running? The flares look good, where you have them. I have the old school flares in back, with 33 x12.50, and I still clear.

It will be 33x12.5.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
;DHey bigcountry, this might help. But it's real what look, you like on your bronco.

Attachments

• EPSON010.jpg
    EPSON010.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 36
  • EPSON011.jpg
    EPSON011.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 63

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why not move the axle back an inch? If you have enough length on your driveshaft, it should just be a matter of modifying the perches on the axle housing...a longer aftermarket version from one of the vendors wouldn't be a bad idea at the same time. If you go to new perches, you can reset your pinion angle as well.

Lawndart

Loc.
I just installed new Bushwackers to replace the old flares. The Bushwackers are smaller than others out there however they matched the old flare holes and flares perfectly. There would have been no way to center the flares between the fuel caps.
16767193201_040e895c28_c_d.jpg

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
;DHey bigcountry, this might help. But it's real what look, you like on your bronco.

Those rear flares angle forward at the front which would make the wheel look centered in the opening.

The ones he is using are straight down in the front which makes them look off center.