• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D-20 Twin stick front end slips out of engagement

matt w

Bronco Guru
My D-20, Twin Stick, Tera Low front stick has developed a new problem.

When both the front and rear axles are engaged in low, under load I.E. Hill climbs, the front will slip and eventually pop out of gear.

Needless to say this is a dangerous development.

Yesterday I pulled the detent spring which looked a little bent and I noticed the stock retaining bolt had been replaced by someone other than I .

I then stretched the spring a bit & added a shim between the spring and retaining bolt as an attempt to put more pressure on a possibly worn out spring,

I will now order a new spring since this did not fix the problem.

Is there any other advice or other possible problem that you have experienced that would help me eliminate this issue?

Thanks Guys!
Matt W.

70_Steve

Old Guy
One of the reasons for popping out of gear is a misalignment of the sliding gear with the idler shaft low speed gear. It would be unusual (but not impossible) for the idler shaft gear to become misaligned. That puts the misalignment in the front output shaft.

Double check the end play on the front output shaft. Dana's specs are .003-.005. I like to set them up a bit tighter than that, like .001-.002.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I only have experience experience with rear popping out but found it to be output shaft needing rebuilding.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
One of the reasons for popping out of gear is a misalignment of the sliding gear with the idler shaft low speed gear. It would be unusual (but not impossible) for the idler shaft gear to become misaligned. That puts the misalignment in the front output shaft.

Double check the end play on the front output shaft. Dana's specs are .003-.005. I like to set them up a bit tighter than that, like .001-.002.

Will I need to pull the T-Case to do this as well as make the adjustment/repair? This might be out of my ability.

Thanks,
Matt

70_Steve

Old Guy
Will I need to pull the T-Case to do this as well as make the adjustment/repair? This might be out of my ability.

Thanks,
Matt
The measurement is done using a dial indicator with a magnetic base. The adjustment is accomplished by the shims under the front output shaft rear cover. I suppose it could be done in the Bronco, although I've never tried...

http://www.classicbroncos.com/dana20/dana_20_manual.html

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
The measurement is done using a dial indicator with a magnetic base. The adjustment is accomplished by the shims under the front output shaft rear cover. I suppose it could be done in the Bronco, although I've never tried...

http://www.classicbroncos.com/dana20/dana_20_manual.html

I was using this schematic yesterday.;D

This is beyond my ability.%)
I ordered new detent springs from WH. If that does not work I will be bringing the truck to a shop as this needs to be rectified.

74fiberglass

Mine jumps out also but it is the boot that is knocking it back (I think ). It don't think I have it centered correct.