• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D20 output shaft compare

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Changing yours before it breaks huh?;) Smart man! I am running the 32 spline output shaft also....it didn't save the drive shaft though.:p

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
shame they couldn't have made it the same length as the stock one, but not complaining about mine for the strength.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
9" pinion yoke or D44 pinion yoke? Neither have shown historically to be a big problem IMO. But if you have the stock axles in the small bearing diff, they are a problem for sure though.....

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
My 68 broke 2 rear small bearing axels between the wheel flange and bearing. This means the wheel breaks off. Not a good thing. If you have 40 year old small bearing axels this will be your weakest link. And a serious safty issue!! It will happen. It could happen at speed. Or on a side hill when you really don't need any more lean. I got a set of used big bearing ends and took them to a buddy that has a machine shop with a very big lathe. turned the small bearing ends off and put the new ones on. very cheap. then ordered new true track in 31sp and and got a set of the mid 70 F150 rear brakes and backin plates to match.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
The rear yoke on the transfer case ends up being about 1 1/2" further toward the rear......which makes some folks have to shorten their drive shaft. I say it is just a good reason it add a couple inches of suspension lift!;D That usually makes the drive shaft come out about the right length again.....but then the front shaft might be a little short %) oh well, probably needs replacing anyway right? :D

OP
OP
av bronco

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
With the output shaft olny kit it is 3/4 inch longer(thats why I went this route) Ive broke my 28 spline axles and that was my next weak link.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Broncotj0

Loc.
Mankato, MN
Guys it's been a long time since this thread has had a post but I guess it's time. I just snapped the rear output shaft on my rig. What is needed to do this conversion? I know the rear drive shaft may have to be shortened. Any other words of wisdom? I do have another T-case so I would like to upgrade it before I put it in. Thanks,

matt w

Bronco Guru
WHY did you show me that!? I just did my T-case a year ago in 2 weeks!.....Oh well! I will go slow! ;D

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Guys it's been a long time since this thread has had a post but I guess it's time. I just snapped the rear output shaft on my rig. What is needed to do this conversion? I know the rear drive shaft may have to be shortened. Any other words of wisdom? I do have another T-case so I would like to upgrade it before I put it in. Thanks,

Just get the output kit from WH and install it. Although in my opinion I would just get the whole assembly. Its all set up and ready to bolt on for only $20 bucks more. You will have to pay more for the speedo set up though.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Extreme_dana20_Output_System/Bronco_Dana20_Transfer_Case

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Extreme_dana20_Output_systemKit/Bronco_Dana20_Transfer_Case

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Just get the output kit from WH and install it. Although in my opinion I would just get the whole assembly. Its all set up and ready to bolt on for only $20 bucks more. You will have to pay more for the speedo set up though.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Extreme_dana20_Output_System/Bronco_Dana20_Transfer_Case

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Extreme_dana20_Output_systemKit/Bronco_Dana20_Transfer_Case

I went with the entire assembly. Very easy swap. I snapped the stock output shaft a block from my house right after a crazy snow run in the mountains. Glad I am not a frozen icicle still on the mountain.

I never snapped a 28 spline axle (luck maybe). But I swapped to 31 spline and after about 5 years snapped the driver's side.