• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D20 output shaft preload issue

70_Steve

Old Guy
So your saying the small spacer is only for the yoke and the bearing should press fit tight to the gear with the large spacer in betwee, got it. Good to know as I was going to drive the bearing in until the spacer bottomed, that would have sucked...I think. thanks again.
Well, that large spacer will bottom, against the gear. If you look at the pic, you see the front output shaft with the large gear-looking splined end, where the sliding gear goes. Going forward from there on your j-shift (not in this t-shift pic), you've got a gear, a (large) spacer, the front bearing, the small spacer, then the yoke. When you tighten up the yoke, it will be tightening up against that large gear-looking splined end, but through the gear, spacer, bearing and small spacer. So, with 150 ft/lb torque on the yoke nut, even if you didn't press the front bearing on far enough, by the time you tighten up the yoke nut, it will be in place!!!

Because of that, I usually install the yoke and torque that nut before messing with the shims.

Attachments

• figure19.jpg
    figure19.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So the small ring does hit the beaing and does not bottom on the shaft as it does without the bearing in place, that makes sense as the large washer had very clear inverted "made in USA" as it sat against the bearing for 30 years and the bearing had a matching wear mark where the small spacer sat on the other side, thanks. Drive front bearing on, then install front cover which furhter sets front bearing and shaft postition, then set rear shims for endplay, thanks Steve and Viper.