• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D20 shift rod

bax

Contributor
Old Member
What would cause a d20 shift rod to stick. I mean stick like stuck! I have this 20 left over from my dead 66 half cab and thought I would go thru it to get it ready for my dads truck. Doing a 435 /20 to it. I got it on the table and one of the rods was stuck. So I started to take it all apart. Got all the springs and detent balls out of it, center cluster gear, rear output. I just have the two gears on the end to come out. the front drive shifter rod wont move. I cant get the gear off the shift fork because I cant get at the set screw in the fork because the gear is in the way. I think if I bend up an allen wrench I can get to it. After I get this all apart are there any tricks to getting the shift rod out? it's not rusted up, the case had oil in it. Slide hammed comes out next?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The other shift reail has to be in the right spot for the pills between them to free up and allow the stuck rail to move. Only when the other rail is in just the right spot will the other rail move,

Either that or it is rusted in place. But I think you are fighting the shift rail pills between the 2 rails.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Shift rail pills? I took all the detent balls and springs out. What is left?

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There 2 rods with rounded ends (Pills) between the two shift rods. They are installed through the holes that the balls and springs go in. The pills come out after the first shift rod is removed. The shift rods have to be in the correct position for the first one to come out.