• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D44 HP questions

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
I am lookin at pickin up a HP D44, with no axles or knuckles. I offered the guy $30 if it has the carrier and gears.

Now I need to know what to do with it first. I plan on shortening it to the stock(EB) width, now should I be looking for a complete axle to do this? Or is it worth picking up an additional D44 for $250 for the axles and knuckles?

What is the cost of shortening the axles? Should I cut them down and just have them resplined? Will the regular D44 axles work in a HP D44? Will a regular D44 carrier work in the HP housing?

Obviously I know enough to get myself into trouble with this so any and all info is greatly appreciated.

And any links on how to properly do this would be great.

broncodude_73

The first thing to find out is if it has cast on or weld on c-wdges. Do you have a d44 in your bronco? if so your knuckles will bolt to this axle. The high pinion carrier is the same but the gears are not.

I would retube the long side then u only need one custom shaft or if u build it right u could just use e-bronco d44 shafts

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
After doin a little research I realize that it is probably not a ford HP D44, he was going to put it into a cherokee. So this will most likely not work, right?

Are there any interchangeable parts from the different D44's?

telcolineman

the knuckles and spindles interchange, A D44 is a D44. The axles are different lenghts, Ford had the only HP44's in them. If it's an 80's jeep it may be drivers drop, Being a cheroke it may not. But a grand cherokee it should

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
mr.n's signature link:
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Good info on D44's if you're interested. Why not just pick up a complete HP D44 axle and be done with it rather than trying to piece something together? You could wrist it to narrow it with BC's kit or just shorten the passenger side tube as required.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Ok I went and checked and it is from a ford. I figured it would be worth getting it for $30 and piecing it together as opposed to finding a HP D44.

Maybe it will be easier to get an assembled HP D44 than I thought.
Only will know if I start looking.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Call your local wrecking yards and see what they go for in your area...then start checking craigslist. I see the 1978-1979 F150 HP D44 on Pirate4x4 going for $250-ish all the time. The 1976-1977 tend to go for a little more since they have the welded C's.

If you plan to change the gearing, add a locker, go with alloy axles, uber-joints, etc...then it probably won't matter whether you start with a complete axle or not. But if you just want to get things rolling, a complete axle is definitely the way to go IMO.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Well I did find a set of axles, they are out of a '79 F-150.

D44 HP and 9" for $300 and he delivered them (1.5 hour drive one way)
what a great guy. The u joints are wasted and one brake caliper is locked up but I think it was a good deal. Is this what I need for the u joints? 5-760x Dana 44 U joint Early Bronco Jeep F150 axle

I am looking to pick up a 9" center section with detroit locker and 4.56 gear. He is asking $575 for it, but I will offer him less as it is used.

Now I will need a 4.56 gear for the HP and some sort of locker. So I am looking for what you guys might have for sale.

I might pick up a low pinion 44 for now, it has a 4.56 gear in it and I think I can get it for $100.

mr.n

firehawk said:
Well I did find a set of axles, they are out of a '79 F-150.
D44 HP and 9" for $300
Not a bad deal. I'd suggest keeping the axle full width if you can. Not that it's hard to shorten either axle, it just will add $300-500 in cost if done cheap.

firehawk said:
Now I will need a 4.56 gear for the HP
I might pick up a low pinion 44 for now, it has a 4.56 gear in it
Why would you do that? A High pinion takes different gears from a Low pinion axle.

Thanks for the link Apogee