• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D44 w/Reid knuckles and high steer

68rustbucket

Loc.
San Marcos,TX
I'm currently running '78 D44 knuckles and TRO hiem steering. I've managed to bend my tie rod pretty bad on the last couple rock run outings. Was looking at Reid Knuckles w/high steer arms on my D44. Anybody running this setup? Was wondering where my ram cylinder would mount after installing high steer tie rod setup. Looking for pics if anybody has any.

Thanks

buckenbronco

Loc.
Hanson
I’m thinking about doing high steer with the Reid knuckles. Did you ever end up doing yours? If so how do you like it?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, sorry we left you in the lurch there rustbucket! Nobody answered.
But to you, and now you too bucken, look long and close at doing it, and take lots of measurements.
It's not as easy to do on a coil-spring/radius arm Ford as it is with leaf springs and such. And there's just not a lot of real-estate under there when you're talking power rams anyway.

There was a discussion about it just last month if I remember. Sorry I don't have a link but maybe someone will and post it up for you.
I believe that the member actually decided against it even after purchasing the Reid knuckles.

Nice searching to reach back that far too. What's up with your setup that you think you need high-steer? Got lots of lift?
Maybe if it's lifted high enough, and if you have some real time to mess with it, it can be done. I just remember several conversations over the years here that made it sound like it's anything but a straightforward bolt on.

Good luck.

Paul

buckenbronco

Loc.
Hanson
I’m not going with a tall lift. Just thought if I was going to built the Dana 44 that I should put the Reid knuckles on. Since I had them why not make it high steer. If I’m buying everything new and starting from scratch why not make it the best it could be

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I’m not going with a tall lift. Just thought if I was going to built the Dana 44 that I should put the Reid knuckles on. Since I had them why not make it high steer. If I’m buying everything new and starting from scratch why not make it the best it could be

Ha then scrap the reid knuckle idea and throw in a set or rear Heep JK ring and pinion gears. Tie rods always get bent....thats why there cheep to remake. I looked at the knuckles and couldnt see a huge advantage besides it bringing the drag link way up. Tie rod doesnt move much to warrent the price and extras that must also be purchased.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Just thought if I was going to built the Dana 44 that I should put the Reid knuckles on. Since I had them why not make it high steer. If I’m buying everything new and starting from scratch why not make it the best it could be

Agreed! Good way to think.
But like said, that level of modding is probably one of the few things I would consider overkill and not only unnecessary, but one that leads to more trouble and headaches than any potential benefit it would provide.
At least for what you intend to do with an Early Bronco.

No "street" benefit at all that I can see, unless you can utilize it and get all the angles to work to perfection. And no benefit to hydraulic ram-assist with smaller tires either, if that's also what you were contemplating.

But then, I like to keep things simple too. Plenty of fine examples of highly modified rigs here on the forums to prove that some of the stuff is worth it and some are just cool.
But some are too much trouble.

You can still look into it of course. Maybe someone will chime in with some good results. But it's still usually for the more highly modified rigs with big tires and some need for it. In your case there are plenty of other things you can do to make it more street/trail capable without going so extreme.

Paul