• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D60 Axle Shaft Opinions & Experience Wanted Please

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I'm at the point on my build I need to make a choice on front axle shafts. Rig specs: EFI 302, C4, Atlas 4.3, HP D60 front, 4.88 gears, full spool, full hydro steering and 39" Red Label Krawlers. I wheel very hard, but like to crawl stuff instead of standing on the skinny pedal. I narrowed the D60 so I need to get a long side inner shaft cut and resplined.

For those of you with similar setups, are you running stock shafts or alloys? Will stock shafts hold up? If alloys, what brand and what's your luck?

I know I can stuff RCV shafts in it and have a lifetime warranty, but I don't want to stuff another $2k inside the front axle if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
Alloy Shafts

We must be on the same boat. Only my side is going slower. You will not be able to cut and respline a stock shaft. So get you some alloys and be done with it.
Brian

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
We must be on the same boat. Only my side is going slower. You will not be able to cut and respline a stock shaft. So get you some alloys and be done with it.
Brian

I can get one cut and resplined for $60, and I'll have to get that done whether I go with alloys or not. I am heavily leaning towards alloy inner and outers.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Brian

Just the 78-79 long inner cant be due to the neck down. Might be running a later KP without a neck down, I know my 91 doesnt go down at all. If he had a 78-79 could take a later long inner and get it resplined also.

Steve, are you bumping to 35 outers as well? That'll add another $500 or so there. Thing is...this is the time to do it. I think the mass buy price on the 60s was pretty good as well. If it was as good as on the 44's (percentage wise) you'd be sitting well with a set. (I am sure another buy in can be done)

What are you doing for brakes?

Sounds like you may want to stick with stockers for now.

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Just the 78-79 long inner cant be due to the neck down. Might be running a later KP without a neck down, I know my 91 doesnt go down at all. If he had a 78-79 could take a later long inner and get it resplined also.

It's an '88 axle, so yeah, I can have the long side inner cut & resplined if I need to.

Steve, are you bumping to 35 outers as well? That'll add another $500 or so there. Thing is...this is the time to do it. I think the mass buy price on the 60s was pretty good as well. If it was as good as on the 44's (percentage wise) you'd be sitting well with a set. (I am sure another buy in can be done)

What are you doing for brakes?

Sounds like you may want to stick with stockers for now.

Definitely going with 35 spline outers. Using the stock disk brakes on the D60, and an aftermarket disk brake kit on the rear 14B. Haven't thought about a master cylinder yet.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've been pounding on my D60 front with 37" boggers and I've yet to break anything on the axle. Axle is welded with 4.10's, PSC full hydro, 302/C4/Atlas 3.8.

I like to be on the skinny pedal and I let the front end hop alot - I just lay into it even harder. My front axle is bone stock - I put in some Spicer life series joints and changed the fluid. When it breaks I'm torn between going 35 spline outers and drive flanges or just stepping up to RCV's... My heavy foot and larger motor and tire plans make me want to go RCV's so I don't have to worry.