• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Daily Driving an Early Bronco.

daign

Hi guys-

My name is Dane. I currently have 2 projects in the garage, a 1961 Continental Convertible and a 1969 Camaro Z28. Both projects are pretty much complete and the continental is a family heirloom so no rush on it.

I am selling my current vehicle, a 2013 Mitsubishi Evolution Lancer X with 5500 miles because the motor blew up with zero explanation. It took 20+ phone calls and me threatening the dealership with a lawyer to get the engine even looked at. Corporate never even came down to check the engine, so the dealership took it upon themselves to do the repairs. I received a brand new motor, shortblock, heads the works. The motor is brand new all under warranty. But the whole experience has really pissed me off and turned me off of both Mitsubishi and the car itself. If I cannot modify the vehicle I really have no interest, thats just the way I am.

My current Stable:

1961 Continental Convertible I've had about 13 years. (I'll never part with her!)
IMG_20130718_173513.jpg

IMG_20130718_173610.jpg

The Camaro I have built over about 5 years. Only need to cage it, it is mostly a track toy and canyon cruiser setup for roadracing.
IMG_2750.JPG

IMG_8526.JPG

IMG_6906.JPG

I've been considering an Early bronco Resto Mod style as a daily driver. I put less than 10k miles per year on my vehicles and the streets around my neighborhood are real bad, an SUV would be better suited around here, but not a fullsize XLT bronco (my first car btw!)

I have been looking at all the early bronco available within 500 miles and my only requirement is that the vehicle has aftermarket AC as I'm aware first gen Broncos did not have AC. It seems quite a few have aftermarket AC although. I'm also aware I could install a Vintage air system but that adds about 5k to the price of the bronco I do buy.

I know people swap in EFI mustang motors into these, do they swap in the 5 speeds as well? Can a restomod bronco in the 30k area be driven 100 miles in comfort twice per year? (visiting parents). otherwise most driving would be around Los Angeles.

I've been around long enough to avoid the bronco shop off Lincoln in Marina Del Rey and have heard many of nightmare stories about that shop.

Are my expectations unrealistic? Would I be getting myself into a third project?

I can work my way around an engine bay but want something I can rely upon. My continental has been reliable as hell ever since rebuilding the motor/trans 30k miles ago, so thats encouraging...

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself here and ask some questions.

If anyone is interested in the evo x trade idea, my thread is at:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233496

I dont mean to spam, I actually have questions so if an admin would like I can remove the link.

Thanks again,
Dane

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
some of the later early broncos did come with ac option. Yes they are great for a driver. Jump on in and you will get addicted fast.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Sounds like you are on the right path. Find a good one where there are no rust issues, EFI installed(either Mustang or Explorer), and whatever trans you want. In the price range you are looking, it should be a good dependable vehicle. I wouldn't let the AC hold you up. If you find one that meets the criteria but is lacking AC get it for the right price and add the AC.

No matter what you buy it is going to be a project though. There will always be little things you want to change and there will always be little bugs to work out. That is just the nature of the beast. But, a well done EFI conversion makes the Bronco exponentially more dependable.

Go over any candidate with a fine tooth comb. Rust likes to hide in these things and there are all too many people out there willing to bondo over it and tout them as a "rust free" vehicle. Good luck with the search and welcome to the site.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I think you could get what you are looking for for around 30K. If you keep the amount of lift down, spend the money on good shocks, and can get EFI. They can be good daily drivers. Too many people throw on a huge lift and big ass tires and then they complain about the ride. Keep the tires around 33" and the lift around 2.5" and you should be good.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I think you could get what you are looking for for around 30K. If you keep the amount of lift down, spend the money on good shocks, and can get EFI. They can be good daily drivers. Too many people throw on a huge lift and big ass tires and then they complain about the ride. Keep the tires around 33" and the lift around 2.5" and you should be good.

This x2.

Lifted, uncut, 2.5" with some 31's would make a nice DD or lifted and cut with 31-3's would be ideal for a nice stance and pot hole abuse.

When my friends wanted to buy used rigs, they'd bring them to me and say pick-it-apart. They knew I had no emotional investment and I loved to find flaws in other rigs, things that were hacked, shady body work, you name it.

For your price range, I'd say find some of the brother hood near by, if you find a rig, have them fine tooth comb it and buy them a nice dinner; you wouldn't regret it. Small investment up front would save you big time in the head ache department.

For OD, the NV is more truck like with a steep first gear. 4r70 is a nice street set up for a DD.

Fuel injected can range from aftermarket to ford EECIV to EECV from the later model explorer 5L's.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
From what you are describing I think a LUBR with a 2.5" lift, Explorer EFI, 4R70w is the ticket.

Mine has 3.5" lift with 33" tires and has been cut. It is a very reliable rig that I could use as a DD but I like to take it wheelin' up in the Rockies.

If I had to do it over again, I would get a real nice survivor and make a LUBR with the drivetrain mentioned and then build a separate rig for wheelin'.

Your best bet might be to find one outside your local market to get a better value.

C'mon in, the water is nice and warm.

HoldMyPocket

Loc.
OC, CA
If it helps, I drove my Bronco by necessity to and from work for a total of 80+ miles a day, five days a week for two years.

My specs: 35 inch all-terrains, 3.5 inch James Duff coils and deaver leaves, One-inch body-lift, James Duff radius-arms and brackets, some cheap shocks, 3.50 gears, 302 engine (custom-built 600cfm Holley carb), c4 auto-tranny, stock radiator with trans-cooler built-in.

Was able to do 80 mph on the freeway the whole way with no problem, and also sit in traffic for an hour and a half no problem! I've also driven it out to TDS, wheeled all weekend, and drove back.

Things I wish I had to make it more comfortable: doors (which I have on there now), rear-tire carrier so I had the space in the back available, better shocks (Bilsteins), better sound system.

MartyG

Bronco Guru
I drive mine every day around my town (Ventura). 100mi trip comfortably? Well...mine is fine but I think you'd be fine twice a year. Not VERY uncomfortable at all...just loud. I drove it to Fab Fords in Buena Park (longest I've taken it) it was fine for me.
I may be off but I think my EB is probably in the 15K-20K range (you can check my gallery)
As for AC, dude, you're in MDR...man up! It doesn't get that hot (not like you're in the Valley). ;) Seriously, you may want to rethink the AC, it will save you a lot of headaches and $.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard Dane!! heck yeah at that price range, you'll get a very solid daily driver.

Nice rides!

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I had a POS mitsubishi tredia that had all kinds of reliability issues. I have known others as well with Mitsubishi issues. I seems like they are good until they have a problem then they just dont know how to deal with the problem.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Seeing your other projects it seems you would be able to deal with carburetors. Many on this sight can't imagine not having EFI and are clueless about carbs. The reality for those of us who bought new Broncos is that they were quite competent daily drivers as new. If you buy what passes for conventional wisdom you'll end up with a loud uncomfortable wanna be monster truck, that you need a ladder to get into. On these highly modified trucks when something breaks no one will know who made it or where to get parts. If you are lucky and find a nearly stock Bronco with or without AC you can put it in if needed. Remember these trucks had a cooling systems that could be over whelmed in heavy traffic on a hot day. AC won't help that. The stock Broncos had some shortcomings but they didn't need to be transformed into a dragster, rock crawler, or monster truck. Things like PS, auto, and power disk brakes can be done with original parts from the later models. After reading posts here for at least a year I still don't know what a lubr is. It sounds like a guy who works at Jiffy Lube, but I think it has some thing to do with the rear wheel wells not having cut outs. That would be irrelevant to your needs.

OP
OP
D

daign

wow I didnt expect such a huge response. I'll have to come back to this. Thanks so much for all the input guys its really appreciated!

At one time or another I've daily driven both my projects and at one point an R1 Mini swap! So I dont think loud will be too much of an issue.

Be back in a bit to respond!

Thanks so much!:eek:

77RHINO

I don't post much, but read daily. You can read in my sig line what all I have done to my bronco (not extreme), and I have driven it 1200 miles (Houston TX to central MS and back to Houston) in a weekend. My engine is tired but I have the nv3550 5 speed that made all the difference in the world, even though I've still got the 3.50s. My A/C was a cooler full of ice water behind me soaking 2 rags to wrap around our necks. I pulled over every hundred miles or so (counting mileposts/used GPS, no fuel gauge) to re-fuel and and add oil, as long as you keep eyes on that your set. I live in Birmingham now and drive it over to the MS delta to hunt, which is about a 4 hour trip or so. Its kinda like goin muddin in a 2wd, the riskyness makes it that much more exciting! Get one and you'll never regret it, every drive is a mini adventure instead of a task!

swampu

Loc.
Biloxi
Dane, another thing for you to consider. I've run every kind of lift most of the guys here responded about and really never liked any of them. I get a little friction for my 40" tires and wide axles but it's the best ride of all my vehicles. My f350 and the wifes envoy both ride worse in different ways than my bronco. Carb is not bad if you keep clean fuel. A good solid drivetrain was my most important concern. But with 30k you should get a super solid truck with no worries.

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Hey Dane,

I'm in LA and I'm building exactly what your looking for. It's not for sale but if you want some local pointers or wanna swing by and check it out, shoot me a PM. I've got WAY over 30K into mine but I think you could buy a really nice one for 15-20k and spend 5-10k making it your own.

Anton

P.S. love the bagged lincoln and Z28... I just found a '69 Z28 sitting in a body shop. If the lien sale goes through and he doesn't ask a gold mine for it, it'll be MINE!!! (and my 5th 1st gen camaro).

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I bought my Bronco in 1990. My second car was a 2001 VW GTI. I had very few problems in those 11 years. In addition to daily driving, I routinely used to drive from Seattle over to the Olympic peninsula, or up into the Cascades, or over to Eastern Washington for camping or fishing.

I felt it was a better cruiser before the lift and with 30-31" tires, but it's still tolerable with 3.5" lift and 33's. The 302 with a Carter AFB was about as easy to tune as you could get.

Personally I think Bronco's make excellent daily drivers. Providing you find one in good shape to begin with. I would look for something that is close to stock, or with minimal modifications. If there have been a lot of modifications, take it to someone with some knowledge to have it looked over to make sure everything was done properly. There are a lot of great EFI and transmission swaps out there that can potentially be very good, but if done incorrectly can lead to nightmares. Be wary of freshly painted examples. Go over the body with a fine tooth comb to look for trouble spots. Rust can be an issue.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Hey Dane,

I'm in LA and I'm building exactly what your looking for. It's not for sale but if you want some local pointers or wanna swing by and check it out, shoot me a PM. I've got WAY over 30K into mine but I think you could buy a really nice one for 15-20k and spend 5-10k making it your own.

Anton

P.S. love the bagged lincoln and Z28... I just found a '69 Z28 sitting in a body shop. If the lien sale goes through and he doesn't ask a gold mine for it, it'll be MINE!!! (and my 5th 1st gen camaro).

x2...but I'm in Anaheim. Mine is coming home from the body shop this week to start on a cage, then back out for paint. I hope the plan works out for daily driver status. Already have EFI-351, OD Trans, VA A/C & Heat...lots more to finish out still. I stopped counting cost long ago.....set a goal & reach it.

I've driven mine over 100 miles one way & then same miles returning from Johnson Valley before the transformation started. carb-302 & C4, holes all over in firewall and floor. Was it loud, yep. Was it an experience to know it could get me there and back in one piece, yep!

Good luck with a purchase or project. There are a few nice ones on Craigslist as of last week, OC or SD if I remember correctly.