• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

½-ton or ¾-ton for towing duty (and daily driving)

4x4babygirl

Bronco Goddess
Loc.
Tanasi
3/4 ton and don't look back. But I daily drive a 3/4 ton 8.1L Yukon XL. I'm lucking to get 10mpg towing. Whatever. I love that truck and will sing its accolades to anyone who will listen. I regularly tow, though, so I need it.

wngrog

Loc.
Canton
One thing to make sure you consider is that most Bronco's are around 4000# and the trailer and spare parts, coolers and junk will put the total trailer weight at the limit of most generic car haulers at #7000.

Pulling a solid 7000# behind a 1/2 ton is work. When you get where you are going you are tired.

Diesel 3/4 is the best bet of a gas 3/4. ON Ford's, the only difference in a 250 and 350 (1 ton) is a set of overload springs, so if you are looking, don't forget to widen the search to 1 ton.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Had the same problem three years ago and I decided to get an 07 F-150 Super Crew, 5.4, 4x4, towing pkg. I have no complaints about power! I have towed to OCBR twice (6 hours one way) and all over the southeast. In 2007 diesel was heading up in cost and I knew I could find gas on the little back roads we travel. I couldn't justify all the additional costs that come with a diesel. The F-150 does get bad mpg if I run above 70 while towing. I tow with an all steel 18' car hauler trailer so it weighs more than 1500 lb.

Attachments

• Towing to OCBR09.JPG
    Towing to OCBR09.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 23

97XEB

Get the 3/4 or even 1-Ton! The price difference from the 1/2-ton shouldn't be that much, especially when considered over the life of the truck. The price difference between the 3/4 and 1-ton should almost be negligible, depending on when and where you buy.

Don't just ask if the 1/2-ton can do it under normal circumstances - but ask how the 1/2-ton will do when things go WRONG.

I blew a trailer tire at ~75mph on 81 North on the way home from Gore last year. It was some scary sh!t :eek:, and in those few short moments, my F-350 was instantly worth every single penny I paid! (not that I had any doubts before.) I Thank God I was towing with a 1-ton as I'm sure the extra weight and wheelbase helped me keep everything under complete control and stop safely... The whole setup was bouncing and shaking - Badly. I guess a 3/4-ton would have performed similarly, but believe things would have gotten real squirrely, real quick with a shorter wheel base and lighter 1/2 ton and could see the tail waggin' the dog...

I DD my F-350 and LOVE it - even though its total overkill and not the most economical for my every day use.

Last edited:

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
I dont know why people are so concerned about how fast they can tow a load up a hill. People should be concerned with will that load be able to be stop and or will it push the truck around. That being said, i would never tow that much weight with a 1/2 ton. The new F150s weight 5500 lbs. Youll easily exceed that with a trailer and a Bronco.

Ive daily driven a 7.3 Powerstroke the past 6 years and its fine for around town driving. I own 2 dump trailers, a flatbed car hauler, and a 22 ft enclosed car hauler and it tows all of them great. Got about 12mpg towing the enclosed from San Diego to Utah with 2 rhinos and 3 dirt bikes in it. Got a hand calculated 19.3 going down to San Diego unloaded, but that was doing 65 the whole time. Usually average 14-16mpg

In a pinch I had to tow a Dump trailer with a Kubota in it from Montana to Utah without a trailer brake controller. Never once did I feel like it couldnt stop the load. If it was stop and go traffic in town it probably would of sucked but thats to be expected stopping that much weight.

HavaBronco

Loc.
Lake Havasu City
Lots and lots of good points being made here! I have an F350 V-10 with 155,000 miles on it. I think a newer 4wd F150 would be plenty to do what you're wanting, but also personally prefer to have more truck then I need. I always try to treat towing like a job (as a general contractor towing tools and equipment often is my job) time mangement so you dont have to over work your equipment, careful driving to protect your brakes and cooling system, and meticulous maintenance will enable you to do the job with a lighter class truck or better with a heavier class.
Chuck

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I have been both ways with Fords and I currently drive a 2010 F150. It has the 3V 5.4 and tows well. It is rated at 9800 Lbs, but I could have added the heavy payload package and the tow rating would have gone up to 11,300. My last F150 I did add the heavy payload package but I decided not to on this one, because it was overkill to tow the bronco a few times a year. You just don't need 10,000 LB plus of towing capacity to tow a 5000 LB truck IMO. I tow a 32' Airstream, and stock trailers also and I have not found the extra capacity justifiable when you only tow a few times a year. My 2010 F150 has the built in brake controller and the same program as the F350 does and it controls sway and stopping exactly the same as the F350. No way I would pay $30K more when I drive the truck as my daily drive 99% of the time. Just my $.02. Oh.....and I wouldn't know anything about chevys or dodges as I only purchase or drive Ford products.;)

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
The new F150 will do just fine towing your bronco. What we really need is a diesel F150 for better mileage.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I dont know why people are so concerned about how fast they can tow a load up a hill. People should be concerned with will that load be able to be stop and or will it push the truck around. That being said, i would never tow that much weight with a 1/2 ton. The new F150s weight 5500 lbs. Youll easily exceed that with a trailer and a Bronco.

Ive daily driven a 7.3 Powerstroke the past 6 years and its fine for around town driving. I own 2 dump trailers, a flatbed car hauler, and a 22 ft enclosed car hauler and it tows all of them great. Got about 12mpg towing the enclosed from San Diego to Utah with 2 rhinos and 3 dirt bikes in it. Got a hand calculated 19.3 going down to San Diego unloaded, but that was doing 65 the whole time. Usually average 14-16mpg

In a pinch I had to tow a Dump trailer with a Kubota in it from Montana to Utah without a trailer brake controller. Never once did I feel like it couldnt stop the load. If it was stop and go traffic in town it probably would of sucked but thats to be expected stopping that much weight.

Hopefully if you are pulling a car hauler you have trailer brakes. I would not consider pulling 7000 plus pounds with out it. I have trailered my jeep and now my bronco over 2000 miles with my 05 f150 and never had a scary moment. Mine is a crew cab so plenty long and stable enough and the 5.4 is the same motor in the f250. If you are just occasional towing the step up in cost and maintaining a bigger truck is just not worth it.

Henry

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll add , like others have mentioned in earlier posts , I have driven and towed all kinds of things with all kinds of 1/2 ton trucks and SUVs.

Now that I have had my F-250 Superduty Powerstroke , you will have a VERY VERY hard time getting me away from these bigger trucks with diesels.
End of story ....

Now , to save up enough dough for one of the new Ford diesels in a crew cab 4X4 , which are pushing $60k now-a-days. :cry:

OP
OP
J

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
Thanks to everyone for their time and opinions. Basically, it sounds like that if I had to make a half ton work (for cost reasons, availability, whatever), I could do it. It's not the safest, quickest, or durable way to tow a bronco on a trailer to the mountains, but it is doable. It may be a little inconvenient having to slow down and perhaps some wearable parts sooner than with a heavier truck.

Obviously the PREFERRED choice with money being no object is a 3/4 ton diesel. And safety is a big issue (referring to blown trailer tires, tail wagging the dog, etc.).

I'll have to do some searching for a good deal on a 3/4 ton diesel and see what I come up with.

Again, I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Here is a link for a 2005 f150 towing capacity. I still think for normal towing you will be fine with a 1/2 ton truck if it is newer model year.

http://www.fordf150.net/specs/05f150.php

This chart shows my truck has a GVRW of 7200#s and has a towing capacity of 9200#s. These numbers are close to 3/4 tons of just a few years ago.

Henry

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I tow my Bronco(s) with a 05 f series 1/2 ton with the 5.4

I was in the same delima a few years ago and opted for the 1/2 ton. I could not justify the additional cost of a bigger truck for the amount of time the truck would actually be towing something. I tow 5-6 times a year for wheeling trips anywhere from 4 hours to 9 hours.

I have had a tire blow out on the trailer once and never lost control of the truck or trailer. I do beleive in trailer brakes, one axle being good and both axles being ideal and making sure the tow vehicle is maintaned well.

I've towed stuff with 1 ton diesels and it's so much better at that chore. Question to ponder is if the hit on the wallet is worth it for you

68ford

Bronco Guru
for what its worth, i recently towed my eb with my 2003 5.3 avalanche. eb weighs 5500lb and i brought some other stuff. i averaged 9ish mpg. i did however go up and down some pretty steep grades, trucks limited to 35mph, so i know they are steep. the trailer only had surge brakes, it was from uhaul. other than power going up hils i didnt even know it was behind me. rode smooth and stopped good even while cornering. if it had a 6.0 gasser in it, it probably be perfect. plus everyday i park in a small parking lot, it is so nice not being 100 feet long.

im a diesel tech and work with about 6 others here, no one ones big diesel pickups, the cost and maintinence doesnt pay off. better to burn a little more fuel couple times a month you tow. :)

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
I drive my 08 F350 CC FX4 as a daily driver. I have ZERO problems maneuvering it around town and even in small parking areas. (I used to drive 80Ton Dragon Wagon in the Corps).

I have the 6.4L PSD and I get about 12 MPG unloaded or loaded. I can out run just about any other ride I want to with my two turbo setup. And it's stiff enough to ride like a sports car around heavy turns without having any body lean. But, comfortable enough to drive anywhere I want.

Not saying you should go with a $50K truck just for the fun of it. But, I wanted it so I got it. Just so happens to be able to haul anything I'd ever want it to. ;)

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
My work truck is a 6.4 PSD, and I love it, it is a beast. That being said, my personal truck is an 06 F150 scab 4x4, and I wouldn't own a diesel for my own use, unless I started towing a lot more than I do now (I can use my work truck for personal use, so it is a moot point). This weekend I've got to haul a 92 explorer about 80 miles, and I'm gonna use my F150. Plenty of truck for most towing, as mentioned above they are rated now to tow what the 3/4 tons of the early 90's were.

One of the reasons I don't have any interest in the Diesels is maintainence costs. I have to change the air filter and fuel filter every time I do the oil (5000 miles), and I can see it get pretty spendy fast. My 6.4 holds 15 qts, throw all the filters in with it, and your well over $100 every change. And if you do have to put it in the shop, it's also high dollar. I'll stick with my 1/2 ton.

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
Well obviously most F-150 owners have not had to stop abruptly with a trailer and broncos, etc in tow.... That being said, if most are against diesel go with the 3/4 ton gas, or one ton... Can an F-150 pull it, YES. Will it stop the rig, YES. Will it stop it as fast as a heavier truck obviously not. I was going to go with a 1/2 ton, but weighed my life (and others) against the cost and benefits. Just my opinion.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Well obviously most F-150 owners have not had to stop abruptly with a trailer and broncos, etc in tow.... That being said, if most are against diesel go with the 3/4 ton gas, or one ton... Can an F-150 pull it, YES. Will it stop the rig, YES. Will it stop it as fast as a heavier truck obviously not. I was going to go with a 1/2 ton, but weighed my life (and others) against the cost and benefits. Just my opinion.

My trailer brakes work great and I have had to hit the brakes pretty hard. I towed my lifted 95 wranger 5 hours each way 4 wheeling and I towed my bronco from New York to Michigan through the hills of Pensylvania again with no problems. My truck has 4 wheel disc brakes and maybe if you dont have trailer brakes you would have problems but with trailer brakes any braking you do with the f150 will be great. Dont know what year 1/2 tons you are talking about but the newer ones are better the the 3/4 tons of 10 years ago.

Henry

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
My trailer brakes work great and I have had to hit the brakes pretty hard. I towed my lifted 95 wranger 5 hours each way 4 wheeling and I towed my bronco from New York to Michigan through the hills of Pensylvania again with no problems. My truck has 4 wheel disc brakes and maybe if you dont have trailer brakes you would have problems but with trailer brakes any braking you do with the f150 will be great. Dont know what year 1/2 tons you are talking about but the newer ones are better the the 3/4 tons of 10 years ago.

Henry

Agreed, the 3/4 ton won't stop better because it's heavier. If it's stopping better, it's because it has better brakes, if it's heavier it would just make it harder to stop. Good trailer brakes properly adjusted is the key to comfortable towing. Once again, the new Ford 1/2 is rated to tow more than most have mentioned in this thread. I don't know what the new chevies and dodges are rated at, but I do know that Ford has the highest rating.

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
Thats the whole point. The newer 3/4 tons have larger breaks, therefore more breaking power. The thing is if the weight behind the truck is similar, equal, or more. The breaking power of the truck will be greatly dimished. Thats where a heavier truck comes in. I am not disagreeing with the older trucks not stoping as well has the newer trucks. The other factor that comes in on the 3/4 tons is shock load.