• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 / dual transfercases

jwbronco

Loc.
Florida
I'm looking to put either a np 203/20 combo together but I don't want to buy the kit from wildhorses. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy the adapter strickly for the two transfer cases. If not I'm also looking at doing a dual dana 20 setup but I don't even see that as a option on the wildhorses web page. Is anyone offering that anymore.

raharr3

Loc.
Linden,Ca
I thought the Cold Duck was D20 to D20 but I could be wrong I seem to be on a role lately. It would be fun to make yourself;)

OP
OP
J

jwbronco

Loc.
Florida
Yeah the Cold Duck is a dana 20 mounted to another dana 20. I can't even find that anywhere. I know wildhorses used to do it but they haven't emailed me back yet. I just want to have 2 transfercases so I can have a variety gears and a 203/20 looks to be the best bet but the cold duck would be a few pounds lighter. All I need for the 203/20 is the adapter between them. I don't want to buy a whole kit and only use one or two parts because I don't have a NP435.

raharr3

Loc.
Linden,Ca
I have noticed that these bronco houses are more responsive when called on the phone. Might be because of all the junk email floating around.

raharr3

Loc.
Linden,Ca
Sad:( about the motorcycle accident.
I believe the catalogue had something about his death.
I thought WH had the rights to the Cold-Duck though.

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
That would have been Gershom Litts from PA.
He was an MEB member and Bronco pioneer.
Truly a loss to the Bronco community.
I had the pleasure of meeting his brother and best friend at the MEB Roundup and watching his rig in action.....very cool
Chris in WV

Attachments

• mvc-373s.jpg
    mvc-373s.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 416

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Gershom did have his own version of the D20 doubler, called the Roc Box, but the Cold Duck was developed by JR Coots here on the left coast. In a strange twist of events they both died within a short time of each other.

On that 203/D20 deal, what transmission are you using? If its a C4 I'd be interested in hearing how you plan on mating the C4 to the 203 range box. Also, is there any reason that you can share for why you don't want to buy it from WH? Thanks,

Dusty

OP
OP
J

jwbronco

Loc.
Florida
Well this actually going into a Ford but a Heep, my grand cherokee infact. As far as the mounting to a C4, I don't see why you couldn't take the input out of a Ford 203 and put that into a dodge 203 and use the adapter from the 203 to the 20. I believe it would be as easy as that but obviously can't verify that. The 203 should mount directly to my transmission so thats why I don't want to get the other parts. I'll do some more research into the changing the inputs for the 203's though.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I would love to have either the 4 to 1 T-case gears or a double T-case. One or the other, dont need both.

Biggest reason I havent bought anything from the Bronco places is price.

the 4 to 1 gears for heeps and Yotas are $600, the bronco places want $1600 for the EB gears,

the Double T-case kits for the EB's are $1700-2600
the double kits for Toyotas are $700

I have considered having the tubes reversed in my D-44 to move the diff to the passenger side, so I can run the Toyota 5 speed and double T-cases.
Or run the NV3550 and a Dana 300, since the D-300 bolts to the 3550 with no adapter, and the 4- 1 gears for the D-300 are 1/3 the price of the D-20 gears.

I can do all this for way less than buying the EB doubler.
and the used Toyota 5 speeds and T-cases are very cheap, usually less than $500 for both bolted togetrer, if the Yota 5 speed can hold togther behind a supercharged V-6, I think my EFI 5.0 would be ok.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dusty said:
Gershom did have his own version of the D20 doubler, called the Roc Box, but the Cold Duck was developed by JR Coots here on the left coast. In a strange twist of events they both died within a short time of each other.

On that 203/D20 deal, what transmission are you using? If its a C4 I'd be interested in hearing how you plan on mating the C4 to the 203 range box. Also, is there any reason that you can share for why you don't want to buy it from WH? Thanks,

Dusty

The last I heard WH wasn't interested in selling just the 203/D20 portion of the doubler kit. For anyone with any transmission besides a 435 it just doesn't make sense. I ran into the same problem with my ZF. WH was willing to sell the kit, but only if I bought the 435 main shaft and adapter plate. They were kind of arrogant about it, too.

It's not that I don't like WH or don't do business with them. I actually think that they are one of the better parts houses out there. However, they could definately improve their customer service on this issue.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Past_Miner said:
The last I heard WH wasn't interested in selling just the 203/D20 portion of the doubler kit. For anyone with any transmission besides a 435 it just doesn't make sense. I ran into the same problem with my ZF. WH was willing to sell the kit, but only if I bought the 435 main shaft and adapter plate. They were kind of arrogant about it, too.

It's not that I don't like WH or don't do business with them. I actually think that they are one of the better parts houses out there. However, they could definately improve their customer service on this issue.
Most likely they buy it as a full kit and then resell it. To get the individual parts you would need to go directly to the person or company that sells the kits to them. I doubt the WH will tell you who it is though.

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
Just for clarification, I was told by a couple employees at WH that JR Coots was killed by a train at a rural crossing south east of Stockton, not on a bike. If anyone knows more please post.

I'm also interested in the Cold Duck if my D20 can be saved with just a rebuild and output shaft upgrade.

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
I have been looking into the WH doubler also, and cant get them to split the kit nor have I found out who makes the adapters. AA says it isn't one of their pieces...

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
4byford said:
I have been looking into the WH doubler also, and cant get them to split the kit nor have I found out who makes the adapters. AA says it isn't one of their pieces...

That's strange. A couple of years back I contacted AA about this kit and was told that they are the developers of it, but have a deal with Wildhorses that makes it a WH exclusive part. I too like Wildhorses, but by being the only supplier of this kit, it allows them to charge whatever they want.

My NP435 and adaptor cost me $600, I can get a 203 box for $150. Why would I spend more than twice as much on a kit to mate the two?

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
Klune V has always been my first choice, but I can't fit one into my budget. If they dropped a couple hundred, I would order one today.